Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Shall We Dance?

Have had a bit of a movie marathon in the last two days. Watched the updated version of 'The King and I' yesterday and loved it. Chow yun-Fat (I hope I have remembered his name properly) who plays the King, I thought was brilliant in the part, though Jodie Foster was a bit of stretch as the English teacher. Today, being my day off, after leaping out of bed at the crack of 9.30am, cleaning my bedroom and a shelf in the wardrobe, putting two loads of washing on the line, and having lunch sorted, I sat back on the couch and watched 'John Q' with Denzel Washington - another excellent movie I thought, about a family whose son needs a heart transplant with a swipe at the American health system, followed by 'A Night atthe Museum" (I think that is the title, which kind of says it all) - the story about a Dad who is mostly unemployed needing to impress his son, who gets a job in a museum as a nightwatchman and everything comes to life at night. Ben Stiller plays the Dad with cameos played by Dick Van Dyck, Mickey Rooney and Robin Williams. A bit hokey but watchable in a background to quilting kind of way.

I had taken to the couch to do some of the aforementioned quilting and also because I have a lurking cough/cold. Am writing this after taking coldrex night and day tablets to try and knock it on the head so to speak. I was given them up at the workmate's place when I had dinner tonight. My contribution to dinner this week was minimal - a packet of chocolate and raspberry Tim Tams only bought for the noblest of reasons (hem hem), the packet was pink which caught my eye in the shop, and I think by buying then I have donated some money to breast cancer.

The WMH had made a toe tingling/heart warming, vegetable/bacon chowder followed by chicken and vegetable wraps. I helped by chopping and slicing raw vegies for the wraps and we all felt extremely virtuous by the end of those two courses. A small pause and then some caramel self-saucing pudding. I even had a herbal tea (with my choccy biscuits)!!!!! so all food groups covered.

It was of course the final of Australia you've got Talent tonight and it was a great show. The winner was a young 15 yr old lad, self taught, who played his guitar brilliantly, the second place going to a 12 yr old lad who sang and played guitar and I would say, both will go far. The WMH and I picked the winners so felt very pleased with ourselves and then went on to pick the 1/4 finalists in the choir contest that followed. I do think if the Pukekohe/Waiuku lot entered this contest, they would walk away with the prize, no contest - what we saw tonight was good, but the performance I saw last year with the above choir singing Christmas songs and the Messiah - were better.

Have had two goes tonight (1/2 hour later) at downloading photos - it would seem the hamsters are too tired to turn the wheels this evening - will try again tomorrow perhaps. I love the reliability of the connection out here!

At this stage I will be off to Gton tomorrow for the vegie run and whatever else needs doing, trying to slip in some more pre-camping spending. I have to get a therma-rest to put under my sleeping bag - it is about the size of a postage stamp and is designed to keep a warm layer next to your body, under your sleeping bag. Will do investigations and keep you posted LOL. I think I have caught my cough/cold from being cold to the bone twice and from getting wet twice over the weekend. Am sitting with my little heater on cremate at the moment so am doing nicely now LOL.

Clearing out the shelf in my wardrobe today I came across a pile of NZ business cards, coins, etc from the last hols. For those heading to Wellington at anytime, or currently living there, I have several places to mention: Should you need a hair cut, I can heartily recommend Jean Jacques hair design, 160 Lambton Quay. I was desperate for a cut when last in Wtgn and they fitted me in at late notice. Jolene did my hair, giving me a very professional and thoroughly unpushy list of products that she had used when she had finished the job, with two small free samples to take away. I do not recall fainting at the cost so it must have been comparable with Hamilton prices. The other bonus was the coffee - they have a machine that will do professional standard flat whites, capuccinos, etc etc. My coffee came with chocolate coffe beans as well. I will certainly go back there again when next in Wellington.

Should you be a tea drinker - then the tea emporium (my description)is a definite must, look at -www.tleaft.co.nz - its on the corner of Lambton Quay and a street I forget - I think there is a magazine store next to it and its on the same side of the road as Kirkaldie and Staines (family - see Laura for directions). I am a novice tea drinker and I found the staff very helpful in guiding me through the different sorts of tea they had. There were two teas to taste the day I was there and I came away with a lemon flavoured green tea that was delicious, light and fresh to drink, an apple tea - also can recommend, and my favourite - a rose flavoured green tea that had a cherry taste. You can also buy any tea making implement you might require. I do like to patrionise places where you get great service without having your arm twisted to purchase anything and both the above fit that category. My other always visit place is Abracadabra ( I think I may have mentioned this before) - a Middle Eastern type cafe just off Cuba Mall.

Now I have done my little commercials LOl I will sign off and let the Night tablet of the day and night lot, do its work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure Kay and Vivienne will take on board your recommendations when they go to the big Capital on Saturday. Just hope the weather will be better than it has been, for flying!!!! Went to make the Chocolate slice and found I didnt have Kremalta at all, it was CHEFADE which is for frying. Made the ice cream cake the other day, and it is chocolate ice cream with chips in it. Very smooth. Slept better the last two nights, put an extra blanket on, worked wonders. Hope your cold is knocked on the head so to speak, LOL before you go on holiday. love and hugs, Mum

Anonymous said...

Lemon drink with honey and alcohol sounds like it would help - I'm not sure what but it sounds good.
Damp again here today, with worse to come I hear. Lets hope the flight to Wellington is not too bumpy or Kay will not be a happy camper.
Thanks for the Wellington info. We will check those places out.
Chau

Kay said...

Am in desperate need of a haircut and thought I'd get one in Welly so will follow up on your recommendation - will add to list of places to visit as recommended by Laura in her blogs (chocolate shoppe /Kelburn deli).

Thinking about you in preparation for your Crocodile Dundee exploits. Am looking forward to the tales..... (not tails?)Hope your cold is better in time.

lynz.odyssey said...

Mum:
Glad the ice cream cake went well. I hope you get the Kremalta for the next one as I think you will really enjoy that one.

Viv:
Lemons are $5.95K over here so may just stick with the alcohol LOL. Happy landings in Wtgn.

Kay:
Happy trails in Wtgn keeping the theme going LOL. Are you catching up with MM & J? They are only a $3 bus ride from town. Re the plane - see the comments above for Viv. Have a great time as I am sure you both will.

Anonymous said...

Dr Starling move over - I found Jodie Foster's next movie Oscar-winning role! Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor who wrote ""My Stroke of Insight"" and delivered a talk about it on TED.com that will knock your socks off! The video's been seen 5 million times and I understand why.

Taylor was a Harvard trained brain scientist who suffered a massive stroke. I don't think we'll ever hear a story like this - Taylor understands how the brain functions and she was able to observe her mind deteriorating. She writes about the euphoric nirvana and a sense of complete peace and well-being she discovered in her stroke! She talks about this in her incredible (don't miss it) talk on TED.com. The book is great too - highly recommended. You'll learn how to 'step to the right of their left brain' to uncover a deep internal peace. Sign me up!

Anonymous said...

Dr Starling move over - I found Jodie Foster's next movie Oscar-winning role! Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor who wrote ""My Stroke of Insight"" and delivered a talk about it on TED.com that will knock your socks off! The video's been seen 5 million times and I understand why.

Taylor was a Harvard trained brain scientist who suffered a massive stroke. I don't think we'll ever hear a story like this - Taylor understands how the brain functions and she was able to observe her mind deteriorating. She writes about the euphoric nirvana and a sense of complete peace and well-being she discovered in her stroke! She talks about this in her incredible (don't miss it) talk on TED.com. The book is great too - highly recommended. You'll learn how to 'step to the right of their left brain' to uncover a deep internal peace. Sign me up!