Monday, 30 June 2008

Thank you one and all.

Am doing a collective thank you for your wonderful comments and updates by email. Where to start... I will go backwards to Friday. We had a special Mass on Friday night that celebrated Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders in the spirit of unity. We celebrated the service in the Chapel at Wandalgu which had not been used for some time. It is a wonderful building with an Aboriginal focus and symbolism in the decor and the right setting for the service. The idea was that there be a ceremony outside to start but co-incidentally it began raining late Thursday (still drizzling this morning). Dinner had been taken down by the chef so we ate first and then had to cross the campus in the dark and rain so there was no bonfire at the end of the evening either. Several boys and one of the staff played didgeridoos to support the songs played, one of the boys walked round the chapel for a 'smoking' ceremony (carrying a tin with coals and greenery to make the smoke), followed by two of the senior girls using green branches off one of the trees to sprinkle water over everyone. The smoke to signify cleansing and the water to signify purification. I understand that Aboriginal people describe themselves by the communities they live in and the language that they speak. Each different language group that the students belong to was recognised during the service with a special prayer spoken by one of the staff who is an elder from this area at the end of the service . I found it a moving service and felt very priviledged to have experienced it.

It was a bit hairy getting down and back to Wandalgu in the bus, lots of mud and water. I believe there was something between 20 - 30mls of rain as of yesterday morning and it continued intermittently yesterday as well - all good. You can almost see the wheat grow.

We had CART yesterday for the first (and last) time this term. We now have six horses that can be ridden so everyone got several turns yesterday. I held myself back from riding as I did not want to do myself serious damage before the holidays. There was plenty of mud to traverse and a moment of excitement when we went over several bumps at once and the cart came away from the tractor. I initially thought the bit that holds it onto the tractor may have shared off (see us helpless with laughter as a)no one is hurt, and b) the tractor drives off up the track only stopping when some shrieking was heard over the sounds of the engine). I was very impressed with Br as he dug in the sand to lower and raise strategic bits of the cart as he jacked it up to couple with the tractor again. I dropped the bolt in to hold it altogether (the culprit which had sailed out as we shot over the bump)and we were on our way again without further incident. It was great to see the paddocks (the size of some third world countries) greening up and to see sheep with their lambs roaming paddocks with grass in.

After lunch I went with most of the girls and some of the boys and their staff to a place called the Coalseam which is somewhere between here and Mingenew. It is a reserve area with a rock face that has been cut away by the Irwin River - the rock being 550 million years old and part of the formation when Australia was joined to India and the Antartic known as Gondwanaland. Australia only being separate for 45 million years. Just yesterday really. The river had flooded earlier in the year and there were saplings about a foot in diameter and bigger, that had been torn out with lots of debris about them, as they lay on their sides on what is higher ground than the current level of the river. You can climb to the top of the coalseam (Surprise, surprise - I didn't LOL). There was a bush loo in the reserve - read long drop - but with loo paper yay! Spent a very nervous few moments on said throne as only thought about what insect life of any poisonous variety might be lurking once sat sitting so to speak.Fortunately, I was not there long enough to do more than scope the sides and ceilings before scarpering out without incident.

One of the biggest differences between NZ bush and the WA Australian bush I realised yesterday, is the lack of undergrowth. The wildflowers are starting to spring up everywhere - as yet only greenery/leaves - flowers are not due until August. I recognise strawflowers growing everywhere. One of the boy's staff showed me a mushroom growing under a scrubby tree and the old hunting and gathering instincts leapt in to play. I covered heaps of ground finding two excellent specimens and one that was past its best by, date. Not like at home where you can feed several families off the front paddock. Whilst I was in my hunting as opposed to gathering mode, I noticed two new birds - (Kay, take note)- a beautiful electric blue, small bird called a blue wren and a little chaffinch looking bird that is a redbreasted wren/robbin not sure which. I also became acquainted with snottygobbles. It is not an unpleasant child or feed (ycccch) but in fact a plant that grows on a host tree like mistletoe. (Apparently not so long ago the answer to this question was due to win some bloke $500,000 in a quiz, and he picked animal instead of plant!!!) I am told it has a red berry that is sticky when it is 'fruiting' and birds wipe their beaks on trees that leave the seed behind - ain't nature grand. I thought I was having my leg pulled by the name at first, but folks its all true.

Back to the camping hol - the sleeping bag has passed the acid test, having spent several nights now sleeping in it without any extra blankets and have been kept cosy and warm. I have found that I bought a left hand opening SB - who knew there were righthand/lefthand opening bags!!!! The thermal undergarment has proven a boon in the cold and inclement weather we have experienced over the weekend and I will be buying an extra set, plus leggings this week to be set for the entire winter. I know you are meant to be able to wear them wet but cannot bring myself to road test that theory. I even turned the SB upside down so the opening would be on the rhs the other night and it still worked, I just had the hood round my neck therefore VERY cosy and warm. Last night I may have snored my way into a cabin though LOL (heh, heh cunning plan and all that!!). The workmate and I both had a sleep over in theory to get the jump on our boarding reports today, however she awoke during the night and had to move out into the lounge as once she had awakened my sonorous tones would not let her get back to sleep.....

The bell has gone for dinner so had better fly. Will try and add some photos before anyone gets to read this later tonight when I get home.

3 comments:

Kay said...

Heh heh You obviously followed my link to bird-spotting in your district. Wonder if they've spotted the "full-brested booby" yet.

Raining here again tonight although it was finally a sunny day today.

Will check back again tomorow morning to look for photos.

Anonymous said...

So good to have another blog, and read all your news. not many sleeps now till the holidays. How long are they holidays and how long will you be away for? Sans power? etc. etc?
love and hugs, Mum

Anonymous said...

Oh dear - thermal tops AND leggings! You really know how to make a girl smile. Am reminded of the trip Claire and I made to the Sth Island many years ago. A girl we met along the way wore something similar and it was funny then too.
I do wonder who named that plant - they surely had a sense of humour.
All well here, looking forward to the holidays and our trip to Wellington. John tells me I have a new laptop to take with me so will be able to keep up with what's happening in the world. Oh yes, there will be yet another grandchild for Mum and Dad in early January - Lissy and John are expecting!! Hot off the press news!
Chau