Friday, 11 July 2008

Newman Mine

Another very quick blog while I have the chance. As I was saying, Newman is the biggest open cut mine in the world. We drove in and initially it didn't look too big but when we got to the actual mine site it was amazing. They are mining currently at level 22 and ultimately the mine will go to level 45. The mine opened in 1969. Water level is at level 18 and they pump 80 million litres of water per week out of the mine - some of it waters the Newman golf course. The workers have two shift patterns - either 12 hour days for seven days followed by 12 hrs x 7 nights followed by 7 days off or a 4 day, 4 night, 4 off shift. We went past the tyre depot where they had $2,000,000 worth of tyres stored. Each tyre for the big trucks is worth $25,000!!! I got lots of photos and did some videoing so hope it all turns out ok. There are more details but would need the papers with me for that. We headed for the town lookout once the tour was finished where we had lunch and then left for a 2 hour drive to Karijini National Park. About an hour out the WM mentioned, you realise we are going to an Eco resort, no power!!!! Luckily I had the rest of the trip to adjust. Was also expecting long drop loos but hooray, they do flush. There are showers but no hot water.

We are in part of the park called Savanah and funny enough driving through to get hear the landscape is a little like the Serengeti in miniature. (No elephants or giraffes either)There is longish dry grass throughout and scrubby trees. The camp is red gravel patches where you pitch your tents and then there are clumps of grass everywhere that look like they would be nice and soft, however each stalk is needle sharp and stings when you get scratched. The first night I had a better mattress as we had got a proper pump and attachments in Newman. However, I wore thermals, trackpants and then had to put my pj pants over that, plus 4 layers on top and I nearly FROZEtodeath! The temp was below 0o over night and there was a frost on the tent when I finally got up. It was also brilliant fun going to the loo in the middle of the night in the pitch black. Luckily the loo has a solar light to get yr bearings otherwise I could still be wandering around. I did mention that the loos flush, there is a sign saying, leave the lid down so frogs do not jump in!!!! I dragged out my towel and other shirts and fleecy jumper to put under my sleeping bag gaining a modicum of extra warmth so began the day slightly less than my normal morning cheery self LOL. Times up so will have to carry on later - it gets better yet!!

1 comment:

Kay said...

Just as well you had all the warm accessories - visions of being found snap-frozen in the morning. It's a wonder you haven't bumped into any NZers there -seems like everyone is going there to work.