Sunday, 13 July 2008

Still alive in WA

Am using a challenging computer so again apologies for any mistakes. To follow on...
a
The morning after my very cold night was warm once the sun was up. Ablutions consisted of a quick lick and a promise with a handful of wet wipes for the nooks and crannies and then it was off into the park tolook at a gorge. Was in 3/4 pants and one of my new shirts and even put sunblock on - gotta love WA winterrs. We went to a place called Dawes Gorge - the area had a bush toilet - a chemical long drop but no running water to wash hands LOL. At least plenty of loo paper and very little smell. As we drove into the area,we spotted a dingo trotting along the road in front of us. I thought it would race off into the undergrowth - but no, obviouusly used to tourists - it ambled along in front of us and you could almost see it pose LOL. Windows went down and cameras snapped furiously before it did amble into the undergrowth. Saw some plonkers feeding later in the day!!!!!

At the lookout there was a picture of the gorge with information as to difficulty etc and how todo the walk. The girl at reception back at the camp had suggested going down a particular way which meant an easier return so we followed her instructions. Part of the information re the walk was about degree of difficulty and I understood it to be a level 3 walk with 6 needing a guide for death like challeges to be incurred such as abseiling and going through water to get to the end points. When i first got to the edge of the going down bit, I was going to stay put as it looked to be a 1:1 gradient but got talked into it as the very small children were already skipping along the way like mountain goats!!! Very wrong decision!!! First of all, there is no Health & Safety other than the notice at the top of the cliff. The climb was all downhill ( I know that is Irish) on shale type rocks with NO HANDRAILS or proper paths anywhere. I had started with a back pack that the WMH soon took over and someone found me a stick for balance. There was one v small ladder down one steep bit with a handrail on one side only. I cannot tell you how many parts of me were quivering in abject fear all of the way down!!! Any strength I had disappeared from my knees, ankles and wrists and there were places Icould barely hold myself up and several times I had to slide on my behind with everything clenching!!! I got to the point several times when imminent death would have been a blessing in disguise - and all of this to see some pool at the end of the gorge. I can tell you, I have never been further from an hello birds, hello trees, hello sodding butterflies, frame of mind in my life and at this point was seriously contemplating heading back to Tardun on the next coach out of Dodge LOL. The trek backwards was nearly as bad but at least it was no longer going downwards!! I never got to the pool in the end as I stayed sitting on a rock while the others did the last bit as I had no strength to go on. The one bit I did enjoy was a pool along the way with a heron wading about in it. I called it a shag which provided much hilarity for the aussi contingent as they thought I was being rude LOL.

I nearly had a panic attack at one particular part of the descent and had to suffer the ignominy of having some jolly hockey sticks older woman tell me to give her my leg and she would guide my foot down on each rock at the same time she grabbed my leg and did just that !!! Whilst everyone was wittering on what a wonderful place it was, my whole focus had become about getting out alive.
I eventually reached the top a quivering wreck, with most parts of me positively aching but I have got video and camera footage of the so called beautiful scenery etc. LOL.

Once back on terra firma we drove to the Karijini visitors bureau for a look and then into Tom Price to get the CV joint fixed in the workmates car. It had been diagnosed as needing attn while I was on the tour the day before. Tom Price is another mining town and was a mere 90k trip in. Because we had some time to spare, we got to go shopping. I bought a queen size underblanket and cotton air cell blanket amongst other things for the night ahead,determined to keep warm.
Had fish and chips for tea and got back to camp about 9.30pm. I made up my bed with the new purchases and the WM also gave me a 'hot water bottle' a drink bottle made out of some space age material that will take cold or boiling water. Bliss, I had 4 layers of clothing top and bottom plus the aforementioned and felt like an Egyptian mummy, I was so wrapped up.Whilst I got some sleep, I woke however barely able to move from the strain on the body from the previous days exploits!!! I found out over bfast that in fact the walk the day before had been a LEVEL 5!!!! and a snake had been lying about on the rocks I had sat on before all our group had got there.

The days plan was for another walk to another gorge - this time Dawes gorge (for those playing at home) It was a real level 3 walk so as I needed to stretch out my aching quads off I went. I got gyp at my beige/kahki attire and got called Ranger Stacey (did wear my pink sox with the work boots though LOL) so was in a real 'crikey' frame of mind as we set out (more or less restored by now except the aches). It really was a much easier walk and with the fear factor gone, I was abe to now enjoy the trees, flowers and butterflies LOL. I had another stick to help with my balance and managed well I thought.I did stay put for the last bit that went to level 5 difficulty and once again sat on a rock, reading the latest Woman's Day (as you do) that I had in my back pack.
I was able to get up the reasonably steep steps up to the top of the gorge as this time they were proper slabs of stone of a decent size and were solid to step on. I was very pleased with myself that I had managed this one and again have much photographic evidence. Back to the camp for lunch and then a small walk to the top of yet another gorge where I perched myself with a good book while the others completed a level 5 climb once again.They all agreed I would never have made it as they had to squeeze through a gap in some rocks and some of them also climbed a water fall.

Well have come to the end of my time again. Have had a great day today but will finish off Karijini and the trip to Exmouth next round.
Cheers

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to get your two new blogs.
Cant stop laughing. We will just have to see your photos and video to believe it. Enjoy every bit of warmth when you can, its cold here. Trust you to have a mag in your backpack. Its late but just wanted to say hello. love and hugs, Mum

Anonymous said...

Good grief girl - you are really putting yourself on the line. I am most impressed and would never have managed that trek myself. Won't NZ seem tame now. So have you actually seen any snakes in the grass (I'm talking about the legless, or should I say animal, no that's not right either, perhaps reptillian variety. Funny how that can be taken several ways isn't it)
Quite here today, both Hannah and Tim out for the morning.
Oh yes, speaking of Aussie outback, John and I went to see Priscilla at the Civic last week. It was fantastic.

Kay said...

OOOOh... visions of you being winched out by helicopter from Level 5 walk, like a spider dangling on a thread .... Crikey, indeed. You win!

I can see you now, striding out for long walks at camp over Christmas, (resplendent in khaki and pink) singing, "Val - di ree, Val de rah," as you skip up the lookout hill in true Fotherington-Thomas style. It would sem we are going to have to get some practice in to keep up with you.

How're the ankles coping with WA heat. Send photos for verification.

hungryandfrozen said...

Can't say it sounds like my idea of a good time - am getting flashbacks to sixth form camp - seems like panic attacks while stuck on mountains runs in the family! However sounds amazingly impressive! Well done you! And the fish and chips for dinner sounds well deserved lol.