Tuesday, 29 July 2008

Not my day LOL

Hope everyone in NZ has survived the weather! We had around 25mls of rain yesterday - (68mls for July so far!!!) and there is meant to be more to come tomorrow. It has been fine today with blue sky and feeble sun, so washed my sheets and got them dry with the wind mostly. Had a very nervous drive to Mullewa yesterday afternoon going at half the speed I usually drive. Talk about slip, sliding away... fishtailed at the first corner in the mud which was fun and then dodging water covered parts of the road without stalling or aquaplaning was the major mission. In all the flood areas, water was covering the road, luckily only about 4" deep at the worst. It was the sides of the road that had flooded to the middle that were the tricky bits - no way of seeing how deep the water was, so drove through mostly in the middle of the road all the way there.

Got to our appointment to find no one knew we were coming, one of the managers had already left for home because the Murchison Rd was closed and there was talk that the road to Yalgoo and further up would be next. It had stopped raining heavily by the time we were on the way back so the drive was much easier to manage.

I am not at one with gas ovens - I think I have mentioned this before. Decided to cook myself a piece of steak for lunch to go with my courgette, onion and tomatoe mix, choosing to grill the steak. Pressed the switch on the stove with the igniter and nothing happened. Pressed it again and again and then thought I heard a noise in the oven - yes, for some reason my eyes were looking at oven switch and my fingers pressing the oven ignite button and my brain was saying "grill, grill, why isnt the sodding thing working!" Once I realised I had ignited the oven (and turned it off again) I turned my attention to the other switch and pressing it down over and over, with my other hand on the oven ignite button, things still were not happening. I could smell gas so knew something was working when there was one of those duuuuhhhhh moments and that internal voice saying "use the other button...". Eureka, the grill switch and the grill button - how commensensical - pushed both and whoosh, bang, flame shot out from under the grill nearly immolating me on the spot - luckily I was moving backwards from the stove at the time. I could smell burning so checked my jumper - no melting so AOK. There was still a smell of singeing in the air like burning wool when I happened to glance down as I then placed the steak in the griller and noticed all the hairs on my right arm were nearly gone, those that were left were curled like melted nylon rope ends!!!!!! Just as well I wasn't bending down looking in the grill at the time like I had been minutes earlier wondering what might be wrong!! My hair would have gone up in smoke (and I had just washed it!) At least I finally get it!- left switch, left button = grill, right switch, right button = oven. Ah well, you learn something new every day. It shows you how much I use the stove though LOL.

Next thing I did was read my watch wrong by an hour, hence I am up at school at lunch time instead of early afternoon. After lugging my stuff up to school, I realised I had left my keys hanging on the hook at home so am able to go no further than the staff room!! Will now have to wander back down and get them which will be my exercise program for the day - I will have walked near a mile after down and back twice today. That is three things in a row so should be right for the rest of the day LOL. Have just heard it is raining again so maybe it is four things for me today. Had better dash and get the keys so I can get upstairs to work this afternoon.

3 comments:

Kay said...

Do you have a fire exinguisher? Blowing the house up is not the best way to declutter.......

Raining again - bunkering down for storm number three in less than a week.

hungryandfrozen said...

Haven't been on here in a while sorry - much to catch up on! Utterly awful weather here, half expect to be blown away every time I leave the house and it just will not stop raining lol. Bring on summer! Take care :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, my post didnt "post" last night. thankfully we have survived the storm, but it still goes on with winds buffeting. I could hardly sleep for the noise of it all. Still we have the roof on, I had my doubts, at times, but some poor folk have their homes endangered with slips at Torbay, roads closed to the North because of massive slips, heaps and heaps of trees down, power outages, for a couple of days in some cases. this second storm has been worse than the first one. oh well we are at the last day in July, so maybe Spring cant be far behind.
Have to brave the Motorway to take Clive to the Limbs Centre today, so will need to give ourselves plenty of time. Better get an early start. love and hugs Mum.