Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Came a Hot Tuesday

This is my second attempt today. Had just about finished my last masterpiece when I hit some key or other and everything disappeared except the last letter of the word I was typing, never to be retrieved again! Arrrgh

Am just waiting on some washing to dry as we have a girl going home tomorrow who will not be back until next term. She is being picked up at 6.30am, hence the mad panic to get everything sorted.

Have had the four seasons again in the last couple of days. Didn't get back to my place until mid day yesterday, had a meeting at 8.30am which lasted until 10am and then catch up on email, morning piece (what they call morning tea here - an historic term) and the day flew away. Got home to look again at the now open boxes with stuff strewn about the place and where to start! Decided with my bed. Hefted the mattress up (queen size on a double base!) to put the valance on, then the mattress protector (cotton one side for summer and wool the other for winter) and THEN my brand new 1000 count palest apple green sheets followed by my feather duvet in its cover, all with matching pillow cases and four pillows. It will be tomorrow night before I get to road test it all out and can not wait.

In a what was I thinking moment, I found I had packed one fitted sheet, no other match! One brand new duvet cover - no matching pillow cases! and two pillow cases with no matching duvet cover!! May have to bring some of that stuff home or bring the matching stuff back as I need to have the right things about me LOL.

I had been to and from school twice yesterday in the heat and after grazing on raw veg and hummous for dinner (too hot to be bothered cooking and I had cleaned the kitchen LOL) I was ensconced on the couch with my book and had a wee moment resting my eyes. I woke up to the sky looking as black as the inside of a cow's armpit and the next minute there was a crack of lightening, I counted to three and then a boom of thunder with a torrential downpour. This was 7pm and I was on duty within the hour! I was very nearly tempted to ring up to workmate's husband for a lift up to work (they have told I must do this any time) but waited for half an hour until I could count to 13 before the thunder came after the lightening. By then there was blue sky on one horizon at the back of me and towards the school it was still dark with lightening all over the other horizon. I decided to wing it, so got into old clothes, put everything else I wanted to take in three plastic bags, put on my sneakers and set forth. I had debated about putting a plastic bag over my head (had just done a hair wash in a bucket earlier that afternoon) but decided against it. (Especially as you can suffocatetodeath if you do it wrong!) As it was, I barely got damp on the way up even though the ground was running with water in that short space of time. I did wonder about getting struck by lightening heh heh, but figured with the distance increasing between lightening and thunder, I could gamble on getting up to school safely.

I spoke to someone today about getting my bus licence. I have to get two referees who have known me for over four years (they will be rung I'm told), and I need to have the date I sat my licence (must be over four years ago) and that is just to get a WA licence. I got told the last NZ person (my neighbour)didn't have a date that she sat her licence which caused difficulties. Luckily mine does, so no need to bother the licencing crowd in NZ! I then have to get a permit to sit the next licence, then a medical and a driving test and about $200 in round figures thank you very much. Yr licence only lasts 5 years here as well. I asked if there was a learn how to drive a bus school here (she laughed) but said if I was able to drive a mini-van on my NZ licence I may be able just to transfer the whole lot over - I am not to go into Mullewa tomorrow as this particular person is not working that day and as she has already discussed it with me, to go in when she is there. I loved how she talked about our other staff member getting her licence with me. I do not think confidentiality has hit WA yet. On the other hand the small town knowledge is a wonderful thing for getting things done when you need. Watch this space. The difference between what my NZ and prospective WA licence is about the weight of the vehicle I intend to drive!

On Thursday I am to be a time keeper at the swimming sports day. I tell you, there is no end to my upskilling that is going on out here. I cannot even use the stop watch part on my wrist watch but I am told there is only one button I have to press, once to begin and once to stop - should be able to manage that! I am on the 9am - 12 shift. I will have to pack that night as I am working the weekend right up to Monday evening so its really all getting very close to coming home. It will be the nearest I have been to the school pool since I got here. I thought I had put my togs (only worn once in the 10 yrs I have had them LOL- for the polar plunge at one ice-breaker weekend when I nearly drowned two years ago- but they have not appeared as yet! With the temps down to 30o it will soon be too cool to swim LOL. Truely, in 40o heat, there are kids here wearing jackets and three or four layers of clothing. I must admit to bringing a cardigan up to work last night - just in case LOL.

Am just about to check the washing so will sign off for now.
See you soon
Lynn

2 comments:

Kay said...

Just be careful not to make any jokes about being struck by lightning .........Need to check - are you arriving in NZ on the 18th or leaving Oz on the 18th? Flying into Auckland or Wellington?

Will you have an accent? Will you be saying "Eskie" instead of chilly bin? Will you be wanting to drink Fosters? Will you be Steve Iwrwinesque in your approach to fauna? Crikey!

Anonymous said...

Good grief! You must have looked a little llike a mad woman going up to work in the middle of a storm - just as well you didn't put the bag over your head!
I sympathise about your linen - it is simply bad form to use unmatching sheets! Catch you soon