Monday, 26 December 2011

Christmas 2011 and Boxing Day

Yo, ho, ho, despite all the odds, I had a good Christmas day.  I had to fast from 10pm the night before for a fasting cholesterol blood test which they did first thing in the morning and then I was given scrambled eggs, bacon and grilled tomatoes for breakfast with toast and orange juice.  NO salt! but pepper at least.  Bronwyn, Gerard and kids had been to my place to pick up presents from home  (NZ)which were under my tree and bought them up to me to open which was wonderful.  Bronwyn took photos - me very fetching in my salmon pink hospital nightgown and wiring, opening my NZ gifts and the pottery chook and two chickens that they had given me.  I loved the NZ theme in my parcels and will savour them all when I get home again as I sent them away except photos, comic strip booklet and diary from the two grandchildren and their families, and the bag of mini Whittiker's chocolate nut bars from the parcel that sister Kay organised.  I am allowing myself to eat one a day and figure that is ok.  Bronwyn also bought me up three books to read as I finished my emrgency one - the other lifesavers apart from having my laptop.  Against all the odds, I have been able use it and my cell phone,  whoop whoop.  I was meant to have the laptop checked before I used it but that would not happen until Wednesday at the earliest so I think the staff took pity on me being Christmas and all.

Working out the time difference, I thought I would chance skyping Kay as she was having various family members there for Christmas day and bonus,  managed to connect and say a quick hello to most who were there.  My phone was going flat out with txts and emails so was kept busy replying to them.   Had a nice lunch, slice of roast turkey, cranberry sauce, roast potato, beans and carrots, followed by mini Christmas pudding and brandy custard.  Not long after lunch, a nurse turned up with a trolley and offered me a Christmas drink - I had the choice of beer (must be in Australia, lol) wine, sherry or soft drink and received a Coke Zero at my request.  Not only a drink but she said she had a gift for me too -" get out of here, you're joking me" - but no she wasn't and  I was given a face cloth with body lotion and liquid soap which was perfect.  I had just had a shower before and realised although the hospital gave me towels and there was soap in the shower, I had no face cloth so was rapt with my good fortune. I was also given a change of attire and am now wearing purple shortie pyjamas in a large sizing.   Full tummy, more obs taken and I was ready for a snooze and slept like a baby for the next few hours. Woke up in time for dinner - roast veal except I think it was older than that and distinctly more beef like, but who is to quibble when it comes with more gravy and veg.  Was given fat free ice cream and an individual little apple pie for dessert - (can you tell how easy it is to slip into institutional living again - meals being the highlights  and gloriously on schedule each day, lol).  Managed to touch base with Kay again for a debrief of the day and evening and more emails, txts and calls to answer and another good night's sleep.

Woke up this morning just before breakfast and zoomed the bed up so I was sitting upright.  Had eaten my wheatbix and was halfway through some youghurt (skim and low fat ) when pow I was in the middle of a decent chest pain.  I called the nurses who gave me some GTN spray and when that didn't seem to work got given some milky white medicine, followed by tablets which seemed to take some time to work.  Got to chat briefly with Mum, Kay and friend Vivienne (waves) and her family in my intermission phase as I got more pains after going to the loo.  The one in the ward was being used so had to walk out of the ward and down the corridoor and by the time I got back, I was feeling tightness in my chest and arm again, and as luck would have it, the Dr was on the ward at the same time.  Got given more GTN spray, tablets and lucky me, scored another injection of Clexane into the stomach.  The nurse was laughing out at the desk at my going ouch, ouch afterwards,  so I told her karma would get her, lol.  The Dr rang Perth while he was here and is organising for me to have an angiogram so will have to be flown down - most likely by the Flying Doctors, lol.  Never expected that in a million years.  I guess I will know more tomorrow.   

Have spent most of the day reading, poodling on the computer in between skyping, and a short snooze.  Was sitting mid email this afternoon when I felt wet on my face which turned out to be a gusher of a blood nose.  Yelled out to the nurses who came running with tissues and left me to sort it while I got them to fetch me a cold pack.  It stopped after about 8 tissues worth and a period of time without the oxygen prongs in my nose.  The oxygen has been turned down to force 1 instead of the force 3 it was on so hopefully that should be it and I will not get another one. 

Gerard called in after work tonight with some homemade Christmas pudding, brandy custard and some cherries which I ate before anyone said I couldn't have it, lol.   It's 11.30pm so I suppose I should wind up for the night.  Will keep you all posted as I can.  Not sure whether I will be allowed the laptop in Perth but will keep fingers crossed :)

4 comments:

Viv said...

I hear you have your laptop in Freemantle, so keep the blogs coming if you can. Hope the staff and your room mates are good people. Thinking of you always.

Anonymous said...

Haven't you got enough excitement in your life!!! Trust you to hitch a ride with the Flying Doctors, (one of my favourite TV shows ever!!!) Thinking of you constantly, and hoping that you can get sorted and get back to "normal" soon. Lots of love, Mum

Anonymous said...

Trust you to add the flying doctors to your Ozy experiences...and a near- hurricane we see! Take care of yourself - Margaret has the prayer circle of the world in action. Love from J&J

Kay said...

Well, you are certainly putting the "odd" into odyssey ... Looking forward to hearing from you soon.