Sunday, 28 September 2008

OMG, the marvels of modern science Mk2. I am typing this sitting at the camp table outside our tents in Denham. Its blowing a bit but weather wise has been a very hot day. Started from Tardun at 8.10am and got all the way here with not getting lost once!!!!!. Such is having a good map book, Tim learning how to navigate for my style of driving (he said) and drawing the route up last night, LOL.

We had lots of stops. Two for lizards and flowers - all the lads now spotting flowers I may not have a photo of and tickled pink when they do find one for me,LOL. We stopped at the Billabong road house (not a swagman in sight, LOL)for petrol and lunch - a camping lunch no less - fresh bread and luncheon sausage (they call it polonie here), plus ham. A good amount of sour snakes and ordinary jelly snakes were consumed on the trip to keep our energy levels up too, heh, heh.

Got to Hamelin pool the only time I nearly got lost was when I got out of the car and was heading towards a paddock instead of the beach, LOL, but once I was on the right track, it was all good. Walked up to the pools only to find the tide was out this time but it was still OK with enough to see. The lads actually knew about this place from reading Bill Bryson's book about Downunder!!!!

Called into Shell Beach next and it was funnily enough nothing but tiny, tiny shells for ever. There is a vermin fence running alongside the beach as they are trying to make it pest free to reintrouduce native beasts again. They have nearly purged the place of foxes and rabbits according to the blurb.

We finally made it to Denham, bought some sausages and hamburger patties and after the tents were up (forgot a hammer or thwacking tool to beat the tent pegs in but a juidicious placement of luggage has sorted that out) I began dinner. We had barbecued above with boiled spuds and carrots, fried onions and a can of mushrooms for gravy, followed by pancakes with maple syrup and lemon/sugar. I was more than happy to do the cooking and the boys did all the cleaning up while I started on this.

Later: For some reason, I could not get this to post but have just talked on skype to the WM so will try again. It's now 10.10 and the lad's tents are quiet. Do not know what anyone would think, walking past, hearing a talking tent, only one conversation and lots of laughter!!!

We now have to new words to the NZ/Eng/Aust experience. Tim was having lots of trouble getting pink galahs mixed with cockatoos so we now have "pinkatoos" replacing the ordinary pink galah name. The other is the new description of any beast not breathing, expired, a past beast etc etc. We saw a rather large demised kangaroo followed by a squashed lizard. I remarked that it was a flat lizard to which Tim replied, it was only basking. So all demised beasts lying on the side, in the middle of the road or near environs is said to be basking!!! You may have had to have been there, LOL.

Am typing this courtesy of an extension cord of industrial proportions as when I arrived at the camp, the power point to the tent site was some distance away and my small extension lead, would not reach. The office people were very good and offered me the use of it before I needed to go fully into thin lipped mode.

Am having a go at real camping tonight and instead of lugging the air mattress with me this time, am sleeping on something only marginly thicker than a wafer, straight onto the floor of the tent. I may wake up black and blue in the morning - that is if I am able to sleep in the first place. Must remember to take the fish pills so hopefully all moving parts will be moving in the morning. Watch this space. I was going to bring a sort of mattress with me but it wouldn't fit into the ute without leaving my passengers behind, LOL.

Am off to Monkey Mia in the morning so had better try and get some zzz.

Kay: Hope you get to enjoy the hols this time. A bath sounds like bliss - one of the things I miss.

Viv: Good luck with the assignments. Tell your Ma, I have a photo of a freesia, spotted at the Perth zoo. Am lucky not to have caught pneumonia looking at animals in the pouring rain - such is the thing you do for visitors LOL.

J&J: Thanks for the heads up re Freemantle jail. I believe we are going to try and find in on Thursday, LOL. Again one of the things the boys had read about. Hope you have a good break over the hols too.

1 comment:

Kay said...

Goodness - you are having the equivalent of a technological epiphany moving from hamster-in-the- wheel-intermittent-dial-up to sitting under the stars in the middle of the great outdoors sending emails...

I am also impressed with your mid-winter (comparatively) camping foray.Oh the irony, for a person who found the bugs and discomfort too off-putting in the oh-so-poisonous-creature-free-and-marginally-irritating-but-manageable-insect-life setting of our usual summer spot. I'll take Clive's sleeping under the stars tent with us so you can lie outside at night on the hard ground and beat yourself with a stick occasionally to re-live the Aussi experience (Lol).

As if gardening with Denise wasn't enough to bend and stretch the body in ways it hasn't bent and stretched for a while... Viv and I are off for a personalised session with Jo in her new gym today....I may live(or not)to regret it - or, Heaven forbid - become a gym junkie. We have coffee and cake planned for afterwards.

Hope the rest of your travels go well and there are enough pinkatoos to keep the word active, though perhaps not too many basking creatures - and hope you don't cause any animals to be basking. Cheers.