Monday, 29 September 2008

At home on the ocean wave/

Survived the night - just! When I first lay down on the blue wafer like under thingie, I thought I had made a mistake and was lying on the earth with nothing between it and me. Wrong. This is the luxury thickness too as there is a grey wafer type thing you can buy that is thinner and called the earth blanket or some similar name. I woke up at 4am to find that some how I had twisted completely around in my sleeping bag and half the blue comfort thingie was twisted on top of me. Also realised that what I thought was the sound of rain (to go with the gale force wind sounds) was actually the tide LOL - have spent too long now away from the sound of the sea though I was only semi-conscious when the thought of rain was in my head. I meant to have an early start this morning so set the phone alarm, only to find out when I woke for the fourth time to check the time, that in fact the alarm hadn't gone off and was in fact set for tomorrow!!! Needless to say, breakfast was minimal and quick and we broke most speed limits to Monkey Mia to arrive in time for the dolpin feeding.

We stayed for the second session too and got to see the dolphin I had fed the last time I was here, with her new calf. We were extremely lucky as both the boys got to feed a dolphin during the morning which was amazing odds given the amount of people at each session. As we couldn't get the morning trip out on the catamaran we booked for an afternoon trip and came back to camp for a cook up for lunch, checking out a lagoon we spotted from the road on the way back to Monkey Mia.

The trip out on the catamaran was brilliant. We got to see over 8 sightings of dugong and got to see two of them with their heads out of water, albeit a fleeting quick look. We reckon we either saw over 12 dugong or it was three or four racing from spot to spot to be seen. The extreme bonus was also seeing two turtles swimming in the tide plus a sea snake. Tim and boys were delighted and can not get over the amount of wild life they have seen in such a short space of time over here.

We were out on the tide a good three hours this afternoon and the guys sailing the boat were great in that everytime a beastie was sighted they would head for it for those on board to see. We went to the Pearl farm too, a different bloke doing the talk this time but just as entertaining.

Got back here at 5pm and had an earlyish dinner (while it was still light). We are off to Kalbarri tomorrow via Eagle bluff in the hope we might see some eagles!!!! Am about to go and have a shower to soften the kinks from last night and am hoping the one or three glasses of wine I have had tonight (camping is such hard work, LOL)will mean I will have a less torturous night's sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a fabulous time you are having. I loved doing the tourist thing with visitors.
You will be soooo sorted for camping this side of the ditch after Xmas. K and I were speaking of it only yesterday, although not while Jo was putting us through our paces at the gym. Now there's a site for the mind's eye. I did post a comment on the last blog but for some cyber-reason, it didn't appear. go figure.
Say Hi to Tim and offspring from me

Kay said...

Heh heh V and K's great holiday adventure this time round is going to Jo's new gym. The rest I will leave up to your imagination. You will be soooo prepared for the great NZ outdoors camping experience that we might have to find a possum or rat, large spider, bucket of mosquitos or something to throw in your tent to replicate the discomfort you are currently enjoying.

Glad the Australian wildlife is cooperating for the tourists.

Anonymous said...

how wonderful to be seeing the sights of the west coast region again so soon. Has Charles tried any of the recipes I sent him?
Spent time with Marion yesterday and her new computer, a beautiful Acer a lap top. Big wide screen, does everything except make a cup of tea, thankfully Mike was at hand to do that LOL. Had trouble with their you-beaut printer scanner fax etc. After two hours on the phone, Marion following intstructions etc, the powers that be decided that they would replace it, as it appeared to have some configuration fault in it. The printer was stuck in Photo mode and would not print anything else except on 6 x 4 prints. After one, took out the photo paper, so as not to waste it.
Oh well, at least I was able to show her how to send mail, reply, forward, etc, etc, and some other shortcuts.
I am writing this on the laptop and I am getting used to the smaller keyboard okay. It is fine at the minute, after quite a heavy shower, very good for the garden. Did you ever get Clive's email he laboriously sent to you? He hasnt had a reply.
Have a great day in the great outdoors love and hugs Mum.

hungryandfrozen said...

What amazing luck with the dolphins! Loving reading about your travels :)