Thursday, 21 August 2008

Quick update.

It's blowing a living gale here today (Well it's at least very windy, LOL). The house rocked with one gust this morning which encouraged me to get up to check what was going on in the big wide world. I have come up to school because my laptop is behaving strangely and I need to spend some time while it tries to diagnose itself and maybe work out what is wrong and I want to get some emails sorted before I get to collect my pension!!

Had an interesting day yesterday. Had to drive the office lady's car this time on the vegie run, as the ute was being used for something else. At least it was another fast drive LOL. I dropped one of the student's home on the way as it is half term this weekend and had a pretty speedy round of jobs to do which meant I was back at school by 4.15pm - a record indeed. Being swayed by advertising the night before whilst watching TV, I felt the need to try some KFC for a change for lunch, rather than having the usual McDonalds. I took nearly 10 mins to make a decision on what to get - they do not do dinner packs here or 1/4 packs which is what I would usually choose at home. In the end I got a meal deal with chicken burger, chips, potato and gravy,a piece of chicken and a drink (diet pepsi LOL) for $9.95. They wanted $3.65 for a small coleslaw and couldn't justify that - when did coleslaw become so expensive???

Loo story #367 LOL

Thinking I would wash my hands before eating, I found the loo and OMG the first thing was the light - it was blue, which made the whole room with its white walls feel like you were underwater - a most unusual effect. Thought, I may as well avail myself of the facilities at the same time, (with an hour and a half drive back in the offing) and proceeded to settle comfortably on the loo when, Hello! (those with squemish stomachs, avert your eyes), there I was in full technicolour, staring into a wall length mirror!!!!!!!! Who ever designed that building needs to go back to architect school - note to self, back to Maccas for lunch and or pit stops next time LOL. It was nearly enough to put me off my lunch (note, I said nearly, LOL). Do not think I will be availing myself of that stop again.

Got back here to walk in on the end of a meeting with the Head Honcho's from EREA so after unpacking the vehicle called over the to WM's place for a coffee and catch up. The WMH was having a glass of wine with another staff member, so with a severe twist of my arm, I stayed to share two bottles of red, a fillet steak dinner, some tawny port which needed the bottle to be finished and a frangelica with coffee. In between lots of laughs and righting the world at large and our own in particular, a good night was had by all LOL. It was just the ticket after 10 days straight working.

Most of the students have left by now for 1/2 term so it is blissfully quiet. Am going home shortly to blob on the couch with book, DVD and possibly will pick up some handiwork as well. I do need to attend to my 'garden' having bought some stakes to help put up my windbreak, which has fallen over in the wind!

It is with sadness today, I see the passing of one of my teachers from Auckland Dio days. Miss Williamson was my form teacher (long suffering at at that) in 6 Geography. Co-incidentally, she was also an Old Girl of Waikato Dio. I met her at a reunion at WDG a few years ago and again when she attended other functions at the school. I remember her swooping along in her black gown which she wore to teach in, back in the day. She had had a lot to do with my third form, form teacher (who was one of my favourites) and it was interesting to talk to her as an adult (though I still felt like a student when I met her again LOL) to hear anecdotes from her perspective. She did not initially remember me - I laughed and said she wouldn't as I did no work that year, and did not hand anything in, instead I sat at the back of the class and read a book most days. She was able to remember me by who I sat next to and once I mentioned a few other classmate's names. How I got away with it, I will never know. I was in one of my, cut of my nose to spite my face modes at the time LOL.

1 comment:

Kay said...

....and for your sins you end up in a boarding school with girls just like you were.

Still raining......