Tuesday, 19 August 2008

Good Results for NZ!

After reading the comments from my post yesterday and then checking out the niece's blog, I have just trawled through the Herald on line to see what medals NZ had won. I may as well be on the equivalent of the polar ice cap (except for the sunshine and heat - oops didn't mean to rub it in, LOL)for the NZ news content one receives here. Fantastic news about the All Blacks - read on line that they stuck it to the Sprinboks - such a satisfying result heh, heh (small gloat alowed here for a change). The NZ psyche must be doing hoops as I see we won a gold for shot put, and the Evers-Swindell twins again for rowing. I was thrilled to see those results.

One of the girls asked me tonight as we were watching Aust play Gt Britain in hockey, did I know the Australian national anthem to which I replied - nooo, I'm not Australian but I know the NZ national anthem - 'are you an Australian citizen, you know, can you vote'? 'No, am still a NZ citizen, I think I'm considered a resident -not sure about the voting bit'! 'Would you like to be an Australian citizen' (would I like red hot pokers shoved into my eyes????) to which I replied, .. it's a serious business giving up your citizenship - My concession is currently to cheer Australia on to win anything except when they are playing New Zealand in any sport or competition'. Said girl thought that was an OK reply, handed me her phone (ex and current boarding people, I hope you are impressed)and went to bed!. The perfect ending to that conversation. Mind you, I did catch myself today thinking 'bloody tourists' as we passed four cars towing caravans or campervan type vehicles, coming towards us as we were going into Mullewa - and again when we saw a car with both front doors wide open, parked on the side of the road, with a truck coming in the opposite direction looking like it would take the driver's door out. The occupants of the car were in the vegetation on the side of the road, taking photos of wild flowers and the driver luckily kept his door, as he nimbly leapt to shut it just before the truck passed his vehicle.

Spent today going to Gton for horse feed - went along for the ride and some away time without students. Happened to have a quick stop at the Woolworths complex for coffee and pain au chocolat as you do, and whilst the Equine person had a quick pitstop, I had just enough time to do a Nana shop at Best for Less for summer tee shirts (one Batman -Dark Knight because I weakened re superheroes LOL) and nearly got whiplash from the speed I accomplished this mission. Whilst nibbling the pain au chocolat, I was remembering the purchase I made whilst in Monmartre, just up from the Moulin Rouge last year when I bought two of the same pastries fresh out of the oven - ah, memories!!!!! (and serious location name dropping, LOL)

It was a very quick trip all round - a few stakes for my suedo windbreak fence thingie I bought last week, to hold it up and extra herbs for my garden from Bunnings, a stop for two rubbish bins to hold horse feed in, and we were back here for another coffee and once again, I helped hold the horse with the wounded leg as it was being redressed (Am just about ready for a spot on Vet hospital or what ever program they have on nursie bits with animals, LOL). We opened a gate into a new field for the rest of the horses to move in to graze on, only to espy a fox as we were walking along the fence line. It was a mangey looking thing and not very big. It looked more like a small dingo than a basil brush English fox type. It sloped off back from whence it came so more afraid of us than the other way around which I was fine about. The reason I thought it was dingo looking is because it was a yellowy colour rather than a reddy colour of the Disney fox. (All the better to blend in with the feast of yellow flowers abounding at the moment heh, heh)

The girls came back from camp with tales of being only feet away from dingos at night at Karijini - whilst they were tucked up in their swags. The workmate said they came so close to everyone, because despite being told, the kids had dropped food around where they were sleeping. Several have insisted they were nearly eaten ..... not nearly enough inone or two cases!!!LOL.

I am currently waiting for most of the mob to come back from netball so hopefully they will come in quietly and go straight to sleep. I have the vegie run tomorrow and then bliss, a night and a day off. Have to work Friday and then get the weekend off so looking good at this stage. The workmate has done a marathon laundry session tonight to get most of the girl's clothes and bedding done from camp - I am still doing a few loads up here so will sign off for now and get the last lot on.

Just remembered, I did catch the end of a snippet of NZ news last weekend re the PM being out in the snow somewhere and her guide dropping dead. I caught the tail end of her speaking, looking naturally very shaken by the experience.

1 comment:

Kay said...

Make that 3 gold medals! Much as there is no "I" in sport, I can cope with watching it on tv for hours without the slightest hint of exhaustion. My kind of sport.
Just watching the medal ceremony for the board sailing gold medal now.

Glad you are getting used to the nursey bits with the horses. Actually, I used you as an example of how to use the word "nausea" with my class today... i.e. the feeling you get when you look at a horse's insides out.