Friday, 16 May 2008

I hate those mices to pieces!

No I do not hate mice at all but it is hard to find something to rhyme with midges and mosquitos LOL. I spake to soon about the lack of biting creatures - just because there were none at the computer last night - they were all lurking in our staff quarters. A haze of midges descended whilst I was cleaning my teeth - I checked, there were no windows open but apparently they are so small they can fit through the screen netting!!! I sprayed myself with insect repellent but somehow this did not seem to deter them or if it did, they kept throwing themselves at me before they realised I was not tasty. Not to be outdone, hopped into the winter winciette nightie - usually a sight to startle most creatures great and small - buttoned it to the throat, and donned the netting over my head that you would usually drape over one's hat (I was sans hat!). I wanted to try and read for awhile but no joy - even though I had the netting thing tight enough around my neck to resemble a noose - and I sprayed the net - they seemed to get through that as well. I gave up the unequal fight, turned the light off, turned the next room light on hoping they would all migrate towards the light (nanoo, nanoo) and put my head under the sheets (finally taking off the net in case I strangled myself in the night!) thinking death by carbon monoxide asphixiation was probably an easier way to go. I found at this morning apparrently midges urinate on your skin which is what causes an itch that you scratch until your draw blood (or plasma)which turns nasty, yada, yada, yada. Have you seen the size of a midge????? Slightly bigger than the size of a pin and if they are dumping urine on ones body, that is what they must be made up of entirely in a little black casing. I have bought out the big guns tonight and bought my Robocan up and have had it squirting away for several hours. Seemed to have acquired more bites during the night so between the antihistamine and soove ointment I am kind of managing. Note to self - cannot travel up north as there are mosquitos up there that carry dengue fever and if the ordinary ones down here can bypass most nuclear potions, I would have no chance being untasty to a serious mosquito!!!

It is cold tonight - I have no idea of what the temperature is but I would say we are below 20o. The days are Ok if you are in the sun but am wearing jeans, woollen sox and a cardigan or polofleece vest all the time when inside. I may need warmer things yet and not sure how they will warm the boarding house.

After giving my niece my easi-yo maker, I found myself buying another one over here - its easier to make it than buy it than transport it home in the heat of summer. My flavour of choice at the moment is the Greek natural yoghurt mix and if you leave it well over night to work it comes out thick and creamy (might have mentioned this before) I have taken to having lashings of it over cereal and then drizzled with liquid honey a la breakfasts that we had in Athens last year and am loving it.

For those playing at home - this morning I weighed 200gms less than yesterday LOL. Looked for more rubbish to throw out as did not get much sleep last night - will keep you updated as my cunning plan unfolds LOL.

The girls are moving after their movie has finished so will do a twirl and start moving people to bed. Have a girl come to me in pain so am about to go into Shortland St mode. Catch you later.

2 comments:

Kay said...

LOL Am visualising the movie version of your life and can imagine the background music to this scene would be, "Flight of the Bumble Bee..." Some of your posts may need a prefacing warning that they could contain disturbing images.

200g overnight? Are you sure that wasn't due more to loss of body fluids from marauding insects than a short burst of decluttering? I await further results. Surely you cannot have ammassed that much clutter in such a short time..... Come to think of it, I'm sure you could!

Anonymous said...

And you thought the mozzies at camp were bad!! It will be a walk in the park for you next summer in NZ. Besides you really will have to come and check out the camp kitchen and make sure it is being used to full effect.
Have returned from Wellington tonight, had a great weekend down there sussing out the university with Hannah. Caught up with god-daughter which was lovely, and she was such a help in showing us around. I had forgotten how many steep hills there are down there! Hardly a flat spot to be seen.
Hope you manage to get the beasties under control soon. You would think it would be too cold for them.