Saturday, 10 May 2008

Boy Germs

Am just airing my room out after giving 1st aid to one of the boys who was accompanied by a mate and a staff member up from the boys dorms where the incident requiring 1st aid occurred. Little did they realise, I am not great with icky bits, so it was with trepidation I let them through the door at all. (This happened just on bedtime for the girls and I did well as not one girl realised there were BOYS in the house. It transpired that the boy in question had been playing some game outside in the dark and ran into a clothesline. I had a CSI moment when the staff member told the boy to lift his head so Miss could see the damage. He was extremely lucky and apart from a very nasty grazed area resembling a carpet burn over a good amount of his throat, there was only a small amount of skin missing where the line had cut in. I whipped out the trusty 1st aid box (after having him put a cold pack on his throat for 10 mins) and put betadine on some guaze with two strips of plaster to hold it on over the cut part and dabbed some savlon on the rash. He will live through the night and I will get the workmate to check out my handiwork in the morning.

I have been thinking all the kids here were complete wusses as they want plasters everytime they get the slightest cut or scratch but I forget the flies that haunt you go for cuts etc. The girls seem prone to boils so we are now watching all little lumps and bumps - me more from a distance than the workmate LOL.

A small miracle happened today - I took the girls shopping!!!! - in Geraldton. Our bus driver turned up this morning and offered us his services for the day which was a bolt out of the blue - he usually has Saturday off and drives for us Sunday. The chance was too good to miss and leaving 5 recalcitrants behind with the workmate, I travelled yet again to Geraldton - this time in the back of the bus. The lot I took were threatened with an inch of their lives to behave and not spoil this chance and they came through with flying colours. I have been thanked, blessed and wished sweet dreams tonight LOL. We had planned to go to 10 pin bowling tomorrow while some of the girls (and boys) are playing soccer so both the workmate and I are going in again for our sins. Will not be shopping tomorrow unless we go to Bunnings or Rangers LOL.

Had a lovely thing happen to night - the workmate's family all came upstairs with a card and present for me for Mother's Day so I would not feel left out on the day. I had to open it then and there as the boys leave early for soccer themselves tomorrow and found a very nice chocolate biscuit sampler. Will keep it and share it with them all on Tuesday night as I have been invited for dinner and to watch TV again.

Got a smidgen more done on my quilt this evening while a few of the girls from up North (Broom) sat around and talked to me of their home and I talked about NZ. They have seen 'Whale Rider' and 'Once Were Warriors' and that is about their amount of knowledge of NZ.

Further to the mosquito saga - last night I got bitten on my scalp!!!!!! My head was itching today and when I went to scratch it, I became aware I had several lumps that were bites throughout my scalp!!! I am alternating the repellents and tonight I am wearing the 'Kiwi' insect repellent given to me by my sister which is my most successful one yet.

Did a very quick peruse in Coles today as a recipie for cup cakes I have found had vanilla paste as an ingredient. I actually found some at $11ish for enough to fit in your eye so will look for another recipie. Did buy a batch of food colourings to make different coloured icing should I make some cake cakes as it seems to be the trendy thing to do. Watch this space. We have another birthday coming up on Tuesday so will try and do something different this time whether it is by design of the cake or in the decoration of it.

Have to be up at 6am tomorrow for this outing so am going to get a decent nights sleep tonight. Happy Mother's Day to you Mum - will try and ring tomorrow if I can. Happy Mother's Day to all the rest of you out there - hope the day goes well for all of you.
Good night
Moi.

2 comments:

Kay said...

Glad the insect repellant is working. Maybe you need to spray it in your head as well - or wear a bedcap... one that matches your winciette?

How lovely to have a Mother's Day surprise. Julian was disappointed because he got up early to make me a surprise breakfast in bed - but I was up before him! We went to Pukekohe for breakfast instead.

Anonymous said...

You seriously need a mosquito net over your bed - maybe you could find one on your next outing. You could balance on one toenail (channelling Fotherington Thomas) and screw a hook into the ceiling from whence to hang the net from!!
(Hello birds, hello trees)
Went to the Golf Driving Range for my Mother's Day - ha ha!! Sat inside while boys got rid of some stress!! Went to the play 'The Female of The Species' with Hannah this arvo.