Thursday, 28 February 2008

Temperature's Rising

Well after the cold snap last week (20's-30's) we are back to 40o plus but with the cooler evenings and mornings it is quite bearable - must be coming acclimatised. Am not getting used to BUGS and INSECTS however. Have just swallowed (and unswallowed) my 2nd fly !!!!!!!! Very hard talking outside without breathing or swallowing one with the heat back in force. Also look like some poor third world child with insect bites all over my arms and legs even though I am a walking insect repellent!! Came back to work last night to find some insect with an inch long black body with about six legs and wings, lying upside down and demised (my favourite sort of insect LOL)on the floor outside our room - not sure of its pedigree and have been walking around it to get to said room. We have had some large moths (something that does not bother me funnily enough) flying about. The ordinary ones are big, the next size up you could put a saddle on and ride them. There are also caterpillas everywhere, greeny-yellow and black stripes - not sure if they are beginner moths or butterflies LOL.

Played bowls again this week on Tuesday night - our team won again by 1 point (yay). We were doing really well and then the other team made a bit of a comeback. I didn't help with my last bowl - forgot to check the size of the picture inside the middle of the bowl (should be smallest on the inside to make it curve!!), must have had the bigger picture on the inside as it shot straight across the next pitch completely away from where I had thought I had cunningly placed it!! Met four new people (the other team) and a hello from last weeks team and the librarian - nearly old home week LOL. Even ventured forth and had a beer to start the evening off no less.

Did not go into town this week as Br (the correct short form I have realised LOL not Bro!!)took one of the old visiting priests in with him. I changed a whole pile of addresses by email and worked on Duty of Care with my workmate instead as she is now powering through hers.

Crown Removals!!!!! or not as the case maybe... I got a call yesterday that my goods had cleared quarantine (they had already said that last week) and I would get said goods on March 11!!!!! No one knew where Tardun was, and it was so remote that they would have to wait and find someone to deliver it as it wasn't a big job to deliver.
In tones that could have set off the next ice age, I replied that I could not wait that long and how hard was it when a major highway went from Perth to Geraldton and trucks travelled it each day!! Mutter, snarl. I suggested they find another company that could do the job pronto. As I got off the phone, foaming and savaging about flaming useless ....the office lady said Courier Australia would be able to deliver as they do lots of work for Tardun. So, on the phone today and in very sweet tones (scarey sweet tones), I suggested the very same and said if they could not deliver, door to door as advertised, perhaps they should change their advertising. Am waiting on their reply and am completely over the Australian/Perth branch of this company who would not know their a--e from their elbow.

Am happy to report, that my new bed, wirewove and all is working well. Two comfortable night's sleep in a row was great, even though the old body was in protest from the horse riding LOL. Four days later I am able to walk without a roll to my gait.
Am just about to finish up supervision in the library before heading to prep so will sign off.
Catch you later.
Lynn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... yes, remember big beasties in Oz, don't miss them at all.
Quite hot here again too, mid 30's for the past couple of days + athletics day = lots of kids with sunburn in my vocals classes.
Our shed extreme make-over has started today, with the front wall now sporting racing stripes. Another wall tomorrow perhaps.

Kay said...

Horse-riding, bowls, what next? (I'm having a visual of square-dancing....)


You can look forward to a miscellany of items from NZ in a parcel in the next few days - possibly before your Crown goods. Glad you are acclimatising - you must be really pleased you had a midsummer in Europe to prepare for the heat of the outback.

Anonymous said...

I suppose you will come home with an aussie twang as well!!

Must admit it took a big book of Clive's, (that he always used to learn about places before he did his trips,) to find Tardun, but it is THERE!
I would have thought your stuff would have been there weeks ago.
How long does airmail take to get there?
love Mum

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn.
Managed to read all your news. Havelaughed ny head off. Do you have frogs sticking to your windows and doors when it rains. Especially sad when you open the door unaware and they get jammed. Terrible noise. Makke one feel sick.
E