Monday, 30 April 2012

Town and around.

Last Sunday I decided to go for a drive in my new car, woohoo, and so went down to Port Dennison/Dongara and stayed the night with friend Jude who lives at Port Dennison.  The drive was excellent. I fished out the ipod connector thingie and OMG found an extra plug in the car ( you can use it  while still leaving the cigarette lighter free), placed just above the gear stick console.  So, once I had, plugged in my ipod  it was up in the air on an arm type thingie,  and I could  change songs without causing a massive pile up as I did not need to take my eyes off the road.  Consequently, my ipod  which I have not listened to in eons, got a bit of a work out and it was great to hear some favourite songs as I drove and sang along. I also tested the CD player and that got the thumbs up as well.   I got to Judes just after midday after she got home from cooking at the local rest home, so we decided to go to the local Thai/Vietnamese restaurant for lunch for their $15 special.   I had garlic prawns and they were plentiful and delicious.  We then went for a drive around Dongara and environs, checking out several places of interest and two different beaches,  looking for somewhere to have a coffee.  I took this photo from the lookout back to Port Dennison which is where the crayfish factory is situated and further down the coastline from Dongara which is further down than Geraldton (for those looking on a map, lol).

Port Dennison from lookout at Dongara


The local pub was open so we called in there for a coffee and shared a slice of cheesecake to round off our lunch.  Jude lives over the road from the beach so on the way back to her place we parked along side the boardwalk along the tidal estuary and went for a stroll.  There were heaps of wild ducks with a few ducklings about, a lone heron and a mudhen (not seen one of them before). Jude thought we might see some swans as well but no such luck this time.  Jude lives in a pensioner flat so  though I had taken my swag just in case, she pulled out a mattress for me to sleep on the floor in the lounge which was totally comfortable and I was warm enough with a single blanket having forgotten to take my sleeping bag for the night.
I returned to Geraldton mid morning after a hearty cooked breakfast, as Jude had grandchildren to mind for the day.  My latest house inspection was the following day so had some last minute things to do.  I had bought some sugar cane mulch (have been told it is the best mulch) so put some on two gardens which involved watering the garden first, mulching and then watering again.  I had a bit of weeding to finish as well so was ready for a rest by the time I had finished.   I finished off dishes, cleaned the stove, then swept and mopped the floors throughout.  Last thing I did was to have a shower and wipe that all out before heading to bed.  Not sure what happened but missed my alarm the next morning and woke to the phone going, realising I should have been at work.  Flew out the door arriving 1/2 hour late, luckily it was still school holidays so all the kids had just finished breakfast and were ready for the day.  I mentioned that I had seen all these ducks the day before, a heron etc when the boss said, why don't you take the kids for a drive down and go feed the ducks.  No sooner said than done.  I had been in such a hurry to get to work I had forgotten my tablets so luckily was able to drive past and get them on the way. 

One of the lads was in a VERY talkative mood on the way down and it was Lynn, question, Lynn, question, Lynn, question all the way.  Highlights for them on the way  were three dead foxes and a dead joey on the side of the road and seeing over 10 chicken hawks resting on various fences as we drove past.  Some of the boys missed the first dead fox so we had to look especially for it on the way back and drive very slowly past to have a good look, lol.  Luckily it looked alright  dead and wasn't mushy so I coped ok with that.  On reaching Dongara we went straight to the estuary to feed the ducks which was fun.  A loaf of bread, a packet of  English muffins and some left over hot cross buns later and we were done.  A flock of sea gulls also arrived on the scene and not only was the heron back again, there was a cormorant/shag and a pelican also present.  From there we drove to the playground at Port Dennison where the kids had a great time playing in a boat, in a hurdy gurdy machine, throwing rocks into the tide, climbing on rocks and generally mucking about.  We had gone prepared for what passes as a wintery day as it was cold and blowing in Geraldton but by mid morning everyone had shed their extra layers and we were on the edge of getting too much sun.  We had hot chips for morning tea out of the wrapping paper as we sat around.  A quick walk down to one of the wharves to see some other kids catching fish and it was time to leave to get back in time for lunch.  I had a chuckle with my co-worker getting paid for having so much fun.

Picture of a chicken hawk taken on my front lawn on my return from NZ in Feb. (taken with zoom lens on heh heh)

Got back and had nice comments from the property manager on the state of the house, whew.  She had mentioned the lawns needed attention last time - both were near dead at the Jan inspection.  I had been watering the back lawn frantically over the past weeks and had cut it once so that looked as though it was being cared for however the owner had already told me not to bother with the front as there was too much lawn to water.  I left a note regaling the property manager of the same so hopefully that worked.  Lo and behold, it has rained yesterday and today and I can already see a smidgen of greening on the front lawn - bizarre but true.  Just remembered it rained the day before inspection as I was out in it washing the windows, lol.  Although I use the word rain advisedly, that day it was for about 1/2 hour.  I could smell the rain coming yesterday, and afterwards the smell of wet concrete and earth was strong.  Not something I would appreciate back in NZ often, lol although I am told there was over two weeks of good weather during April, heh heh.  As I got up yesterday, I heard several long ship horn sounds and raced outside to see a cruise ship creeping up the harbour and park off shore.  It looked pretty amazing and I never get tired of looking at all the ships coming in and out of the port.  The cruise ships arrive usually around 9am ish and leave around 4.00pm - I was having an afternoon doze so did not see it leave.

Must mention the photo of the chicken hawk above.  The day I returned to Geraldton from NZ in Feb, this hawk was sitting underneath a gum tree on my lawn.  I  got out of the car with my camera and started taking photos straight away, much to the amusement of the WMH.  The bird stayed under the tree for awhile before flying to the next door neighbours where it grabbed a locust off the lawn and ate it.  It appeared the next day  on my front lawn again, and then again with another chicken hawk the following day.  Jude reckoned it was a baby and was learning its territory.  After the first week I haven't seen it up so close again, but did see one flying over the house today.

My other encounter with the local fauna was over Easter.  I went into the garage to get my tent out as friend Donna visited with her foster lad and we had (my) little lad visit as well so  they slept in the tent for two nights.  When I opened the side door to go in, I saw a movement to my right and saw a head about two inches big and leapt outside as my first thought was humungous sized snake.  As I went to go, it moved too and I was able to see it was a bobtail lizard, whew, though it took awhile for the heartbeat to return to normal.  These lizards are relatively harmless but will give a nasty bite if riled.  I am not sure who got the bigger fright at the time.  It scuttled away and I later saw it hidden amongst some boxes and thankfully Donna hooked out the tent for me so all was well.  I usually check for snakes when going out to the compost bin and into the garage just in case but it is easy to get relaxed and forget this is Australia and not NZ at times. I am now back to opening the door carefully though it is cooler now and should not be a problem again until next summer.

I am off on an adventure on Tuesday.  Jude and I are heading to New Norcia to have a look at this town built around  a monastery.   I have been through there before with Br M on the way to Perth but we are going to stay the night this time and do a guided tour through the Spanish styled buildings and the museum.  We are going to end up in Northam at this stage to stay with Jude's sister.  Will be taking my laptop so hope to update as the trip unfolds - watch this space.

ANZAC day has been and gone for the 97th year.  I worked a day shift so most of it passed me by.  I did see a couple of programs on TV that night of Aussie's at various Dawn Parades here and overseas.  It is always moving to watch and gives a pause to remember all those who have died or been injured (sometimes worse in my opinion) in the various wars to ensure our freedom.  RIP to all those diggers who did not come home.

I am typing this at work - it is nearly 3am and time to do a walk around so will sign off for now.  :):)

No comments: