Friday, 20 April 2012

Another update

I have been told by friends (and family) that my postings have been sparse again, - too much living getting in the way, lol.  The days are flying past and I cannot believe we are into the fourth month and the first school holidays begin on Friday, eeek.  I found my last post sitting in drafts hence there may be two arrive on the same day but hey ho, its now or never as I have a few moments whilst on night shift to get a few words down. 

Two pieces of exciting news first.  Last Thursday I went to the Post Office to pick up a piece of registered mail and on opening it found I had achieved an Associate Degree in Social Sciences (Residential Care) from the Australian Catholic University in Brisbane, where I did external papers whilst at Tardun, building on my Duty of Care qualifications already attained from the same University.  I was stunned and amazed and thrilled to bits as I thought I still had some work to do on it.  It would seem that a good amount of the course was granted through prior learning from the Bachelor of Social Sciences that I began in NZ at Waikato University and my Diploma of Social Work (also gained in NZ).  I am certificate crazy at the moment as I also earned a certificate from doing the health and safety course at Durack the other week, another for doing the "Circle of Security" training at work at my Senior First Aid certificate also arrived.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the learning over the past few weeks and feel my brain has had a bit of a work out to boot. 

The next piece of exciting news is that I picked up my new (preloved) care yesterday and I am loving that too.  Central locking, cupholders front and back, air con that does Siberia at its coldest, windscreen wipers on the back windows, car radio and CD player, cruise control and a decent boot which is even better if I put the two back seats down.  The car is a 2006 Kia Cerato (for those playing at home, lol) that was first sold in 2007, one lady owner and only done 35,000k.  I had always planned on getting a better car since buying my first one 18 months ago and feel like I have gone a quantum leap in comfort and dependability as well.  My old car was just that, old, nearly 300.000 k, no shock absorbers in the back, no central locking, (does have good stereo though), and I never felt entirely comfortable going more than work and back and in and out of town in it just in case it broke down.  Now I can go anywhere woohoo, - well almost anywhere, probably not  serious four wheel drive territory but this will get me most places I need to go.  It will certainly get me to Perth and back without a second thought.  I had been keeping my eye on the paper for some time and last Thursday the heavens must have been in alignment cos I got up and decided that was the day I was going to do it.  I went round and dragged Gerard (WMH) of his sick couch (he had tonsillitis) and a workmate of his (David) to come with me while I shopped.  The first car we looked at Holden Cruise and even though it was cheaper than the one I bought, it had been dented, the wheel alignment was out and the gear box felt funny when I drove it.  We were going to head back into town but at the last minute I said no, lets go further out of town to this other place and work our way back.  There had been another Kia advertised for $8999. It looked alright but next to it was the one I bought.  It had just come on the lot, was not even cleaned or ready for sale but the price was right and so was the mileage so took it for a test drive  and decided I liked it very much.  The dealer offered me $1000 off the listed price on the spot.  I had then to wait until Monday while they cleaned the car and got it looking like brand new.


Cripes, these pictures just took 3/4 hr to upload.  Grrrr.

Once again I have been delayed midst post but will scramble to get this done before I head off to work.
As I was saying, I was meant to get the car on the Monday. I had been to the bank to get the money organised in the afternoon and was going to get cash but on checking with the teller, I was told I could pay using my bankcard which they preloaded with the monies I required.  All good.  I got back home and rang the car dealer so let him know I could be picked up any time and just happened to mention I would be using my bank card only to find there would be a $200 extra loading to do so but did I have internet banking, yes, so gave me the details and I hied myself to the computer to start the transaction.  Wouldn't you know it, as I tried to progress with the transaction it said there would be a fee, (fangs were sprouting at this time) and when I rang the netbank number I was put onto the bank card people.  I explained where I was at and the bloke on the other end said yes there would be a similar cost to me using internet banking (now smoke pouring from my nostrils) as it was the same as getting a cash advance.  I said IT IS MY MONEY, THERE IS NO CASH ADVANCE, IT IS ALREADY THERE!!!!!!.  He at least understood my predicament and said he would waive the fee and go back to carry on transaction.  Right. Back I went only to find the flaming bank thingie had timed out and when I restarted the transaction, it said I could only send a limit of $5,000!!!! By now the smoke from my nostrils was sulphuric, blood pressure through the roof and luckily there was no axe or brick about to chop or throw.  Grabbed my keys, jumped into my (old) car and zoomed back to the bank and wait there's more, arrived at 2 mins past 4pm and the doors were closed in my face.  ARRRRRRGH.  Was now muttering dire imprecations and curses on the bank and there was nothing left to do but go back home, ring the dealer and say I could not do anything until the next day.

Up bright and early, left home by 8.45am to be on the door step as the bank opened only to find the bank did not open until 10am.  Smoke, flames, and imminent hissy fit on the spot, and zoomed off to find another bank to instantly transfer everything on the spot, only to find in Geraldton that no bank opens before 10am.  I looked around to see if a Wells Fargo coach was zooming through town as I was sure I had flashbacked to the 1900's.  Do I use banks so seldom I have forgotten how they work since the 1950's, I am sure in Hamilton if you go to the mall they are open early and close at the end of the shopping day.  Wanting to rip some small living thing to bits, I decided to get my glass frames readjusted to kill time, and finally got back to the bank as it opened.  Some poor hapless women smiled cheerily as I entered and asked me how I was, to which I replied, very, very, very pissed off, and was immediately whisked into an adjacent office (bank had several customers who may have overheard me, heh heh) to listen to my plight.  She could see that I had tried to do the right thing and said yes, the bank would treat it like a cash advance from my card, even though my money was already there and I would not be in debit, but she would sort it for me.  Up to the teller and several backwards and forwardsing moments and my money was once available to ME again with no extra costs.  Not trusting them further than I could throw them by now, I said I wanted the money in CASH.  I think the teller knew I was over them by then and was more than happy to see me go.  (Mind you all there training for handling the difficult customer would have got a work out that morning so really a plus, lol).  I rang the dealer who immediately sent a bloke to pick me up and hey ho, by lunchtime actually had my new car to drive home in.  Almost an anti-climax by then and only a minutes to spare before I had to turn around and head to work. 

Last week I went to the transport dept to change ownership and register car.  Over there the change of ownership is $15 and then they sting you for stamp duty based on the cost of the car - $290 thank you very much, and then registration - also based on the cost of the car $547 - at that point I chose the 6 month version as I had insurance to go.  Up the road to RAC and after many taps on the computer, discount because of no claims, discount because the length of time I have been a member (years as member of Automobile Assoc. in NZ count here), age and stage of car, another $700 in round figures flying out of my bank account.  The whole process has made me realise, that a) I don't deal with banks on a regular basis, b) I don't buy a car often enough, and c) it is the first car that I have had worth insuring beyond 3rd party to fully appreciate all the costs and machinations you have to go through to do so.   I am not sure whether this is a good or bad thing.  I am still considering changing banks as there are some other issues I have with the Commonwealth bank such has not being able to do any transfers of my money without having a mobile ph so I have no access when I am back in NZ.  I am seriously contemplating buying a large mattress and find my self mutter bah banks, thieving b*****s and other such like comments so will have to do some research to find a bank that suits me and my way of wanting to work.  I have to say, I do not ever recall having the above issues with the banks back in NZ. 

Gotta dash, working till midnight tonight and then weekend off woohooo.  Lots more to catch up on but no promises as to timing as I seem to be hopeless with that at the moment. :):)

No comments: