Wednesday, 27 October 2010

You gotta take the rough with the smooth!

At this point I am wondering what smooth may look like, as once again life is throwing some curve balls at me. I have had to make the decision that I will not be going back to NZ for Christmas which has been a hard decision to make. I was searching the net last week for airfares that wouldn't break the bank, when I got the bill for a new water heater in the house at home (NZ) which also involved something to do with taps or pipes which had to be done. I had thought around $1000 -$1500 but have been flattened by the $2550 bill which in effect has taken care of the air fare.

I was wondering whether I could still swing it but today got news that Phil is staying with family in Sydney and not coming back to WA. He has finally made the decision that he will need to wind up his lease on the house that I have been house sitting for him. Phil is ringing the landlord tomorrow to see what his situation with the lease is, whether I can take it over and how long for, whether there will be an increase in rental, and then I have to work out how to manage. At the current rent, I would have to get someone else in, if it goes up, it would be a stretch I think. He is also working with the removal people to get his household packed up to go before Christmas, so if I do stay on, would not have a skerrick in the house until I can get my stuff out of storage. I had thought of going home for a month which would be a month of outgoings with no income so just a step too far at the moment.

When I left Tardun I was under the impression my moving was taken care of by the school and because I had no job before I left, it was agreed that it could go into storage in town with the moving company until I knew where I was going to be. When I went to get it moved once I finally got the jobs at school and DCP so knew I was finally staying in Geraldton, I rang the movers only to be told it would cost $1500 to be delivered!!!!! When I managed to get hold of the money bloke concerned, I said if I had thought that there was going to be a charge to deliver to the final destination, I would have had them ship the whole lot back to NZ and be done with it which would have cost them a fortune - silly me for thinking I would be saving them money. I told the bloke it would be next Christmas before I could manage that on top of everything else, so at this stage it continues to sit in storage, which they are paying for until I can work out the next step. I can go pick it up myself for a release fee of $110 but there are challenges there too.

I had borrowed a trailer from Janette from out at the farm about four weeks ago as this particular Friday the WMH had a day off, I had a day off and the WM's boys were on school hols. I rang the movers to see if I could maybe pick some of the gear up but was told that they would need several days notice as there was no one there to drive the forklift to move anything.- Could I get it on the Saturday - they do not work Saturdays. They do not work after 4pm, and they do not move stuff after 3pm therefore I cannot go get it after school, nor can I get it on the weekends - so back to square one. At this stage, I am thinking I am going to have to take a day off work and see what I can do. Unfortunately when they packed up my stuff, they packed the whole house which involved a good amount of Tardun property so have no idea what I am to do about that. More sleepless nights as I try to work all this out.

Last week while working at the home, two of the boys decided to go off with some neighbouring boys technically absconding from the home, so the police had to be notified. They finally came back around 9pm very sheepish after having been missing for four hours. Have to say, only having the two younger boys to manage was a piece of cake. To even things out, we had a new boy start at school last week who got squirted with a water pistol on his first day. When he nudged the boy who squirted him, he ended up getting a torn teeshirt, scratched chest and he walked out after a mere two hours. Needless to say the boy who thought it was just a joke to begin with, cooled his heels at home for the rest of the day after getting the Lynn lecture before he went - and on his return, which is an eye glazing experience at best. He has been trying very hard to be on his best behaviour since. Meanwhile the new boy has returned.

Got to go out on the long boat again on Monday which was awesome. It was a very windy day in contrast to the almost calm outing of the week before. (I tried to upload photos but the hamsters are not working at full potential tonight so could not get the photos to attach). The swell was about a metre high and there were times the front of the boat was airborn and then would crash into the waves. The boys tacked up the harbour and we doing about 30 knots which is a fair speed indeed. Believe it or not, in the wind that we had, two boys climbed up the mast while we were zooming over the waves - have no idea what it would have looked like if they had fallen, and me thinking health and safety nearly had a conniption but apparently they had done it before and the guy who took us out seem unperturbed by the whole deal. Then what was also a little disconcerting was that one of the boys threw a water bottle over board as a man overboard practice, so the others had to tack and try to come around - the bottle completely disappeared and when finally spotted was some distance away and even though we did turn about, we were not able to "rescue it" - note to self - do not fall overboard with this lot sailing lol.

Tuesday was back to the gym so our students could continue with their fitness training. I had a go on one of the bikes during Friday session and had hoped that seeing most of the students had their programs already organised, I might get one set up, but no such luck. On arrival, we were told that one of our boys who had only just come back after time out, had been banned from the place for abusing one of the staff after he and his mates had tried to nick some pool balls the previous week. I was delegated to take him home for the afternoon but as this was being discussed, he kicked off and said he didn't want to come to the poxy place anyway, and he would burn the place down (or words to that effect). To give him a wake up call, the gym called the Police, who turned up and made him realise what a foolish thing he had done. Ah, all in a days work, lol.

Just as I have been trying to work out the issue of Christmas, I have been inundated with mention of NZ on the telly. I was semi-dozing late the other night when the sound of a haka bought me to my senses - woohoo, it was a particularly vigorous one with the NZ team going up against the English team playing rugby league in Wellington. I actually ended up by watching the game the the poms being beaten, heh heh. On Sunday I was watching the V8 racing on the Gold Coast and there blazing home in second place, the commentators were raving about the NZ driver who nearly took out the winner in the last lap by some brilliant driving (even though he was driving a Ford). Then on Monday - up pops Grant Denier (not sure if that is how you spell his surname) who does the weather from some amazing places all over Australia for GWN morning tv program, popped up in Christchurch, and then at Lake Tekapo today ??? Yesterday afternoon while drifting through the channels avoiding hideous children's programs (lots of noise and colour) there was Paul Mecurio of "Ballroom Dancing" fame, (who now does cooking programs amongst other things), - you guessed it - he was in NZ, doing "New Zealand on Plate". He was teamed up with a Maori woman who does a cooking program of her own, showing him through Moana Fisheries in Auckland where they got fish for several different dishes, and she also featured *Rush Munro Ice Cream (which is to die for)as part of a dessert that she made. And last but not least, on the World News this afternoon (again avoiding children's programs) there was mention of a list of the least corrupt countries in the world - New Zealand was second after Denmark!!!!!! lol It has been a little like having salt rubbed into a wound and kind of surreal to see the haka, to hear a karanga and to see people hongi on an Australian tv channel but is also wonderful in its familiarity.

Last week was the Number one Grandson's 8th birthday - another tug at the heartstrings. I rang on the day but there was a small gathering of mates playing treasure hunts and army so said a brief hello and rang back on the weekend. He had some friends around after school and the treasure hunt ended with a chest with a skull in it (not a real one Nana just a pretend one) with Halloween type lollies such as lips, fingers,etc. I am waiting on photos to be emailed of the event. I had posted a Harry Potter card (owl post) and sent him two Ben 10 teeshirts and the next two Harry Potter movies that he did not have which he was very pleased with.

Since not being able to go home for Christmas, the next decision I have made,is that I will be home for Easter instead. Sister Kay and friend Viv (wave) are organising a school reunion for Kariaotahi School - the primary school I attended from 5yrs until the end of my 9th yr. Definitely something to look forwards to.

*Rush Munro Ice cream is 100% natural product - no additives or preservatives and has the best flavours. It is made in the Hawkes Bay but goodgle them for an outlet near you :). My particular favourites were licorice - which I see they no longer make, feijoa which is devine as is their rum and raisin. After checking out their current list, I want to try their Lemon gin, Lemon Honey, Manuka Honey and Mocaccino.

Had better go get some shut eye so night night all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good catch-up even if you were in the dark LOL. I guess it is Roll on Easter!!! hugs Mum

Anonymous said...

just looked up the Rush Munro site for the ice cream, and ..... it is available at... New World Waiuku. Look out here I come!!! Mum

Kay said...

Ah well, better buy a lotto ticket... I'll eat some Rush Munro ice-cream and think of you. Even more amazing is Whittakers peanut slab ice-cream. Rare as hens' teeth but well worth the search.

Spanish Viv said...

Wave back at you! sorry to hear about your challenges, and that you won't be home over Xmas, but good news that you will be home for Easter - we will have to make it a good one!
All good here, had a fun time at the college reunion.