Wednesday, 20 October 2010

Life on the Ocean Wave

Just thought I would let you all know how hard life is at the moment lol. Once again have been busy, somewhere over 65hrs last week but things are slowing down somewhat over the next two weeks. After my last post, I actually had the luxury of several days off - unfortunately it was too late notice for me to have planned anything so was a little disappointed at first, but then, oh the joy, time to stand still and catch up with some of the little things in life such as finishing a book I had on the go for weeks, some shopping for summer clothes, and actually catching up on some long overdue emails to friends and family. I had several days work at the home during the second week of the holidays and then a meeting with the Principal of the school who made a lightening visit from Queensland.

The upshot of that visit, is I am now employed until 10 Dec for 30 hrs week and have changed from being a casual to part time. That means I am entitled to sick pay if I get sick etc. So, just a little bit more security woohoo. The job that I am currently doing which is a mixture of youth worker, teacher aid and social worker is to be advertised as a full time position for next year which I am able to apply for so watch this space.

I am still working at the home though am adjusting hours there and will probably do one afternoon shift and some weekend work as required. I got two twelve hour shifts last weekend and two afternoons which just pushed things a bit so was feeling less than my usual tranquill self (lol) by Monday afternoon when I got home from school, reached the couch and slept like a log for a couple of hours. Jude bless her heart was staying a couple of nights and I woke up to a roast chicken dinner on the go.

On Saturday (at the home) we went down to Dongara for the day and took the kids fishing. Well, I watched one who wanted to spend most of his time in the water, and my co-worker watched the three who wanted to fish, thus saving me from the icky bits of handling bait etc. One of the boys caught one small fish but threw it back into the sea before I could get photographic evidence and surprisingly, they kept at fishing and hunting for crabs for several hours.

We went to Port Dennison at Dongara and were at the harbour when the tide was going out so it was a very safe place for the boys to swim. There was even some sandcastle building with a castle wall and a moat with water so lots of fun for all. All this plus a playground beside the public barbeque area/toilets/showers. We had gone prepared, so after the two youngest had done with all their swimming we got them into the showers and into fresh clothes so skipped that job on our return to the home. We had taken a picnic lunch with us, snacks and drinks and got an ice cream as a treat later in the afternoon and apart from some arguing over who was going to sit where in the van before we left, we had a pretty good day out and some very tired boys on our return.

Keeping in theme with all things tidal, the next day at school, the afternoon activity was going out on the Batavia long boat replica around the harbour. The original Batavia longboat was used by Fransisco Pelsaert in 1629 to sail to Batavia (present day Jakarta) in order to get help after his ship (the Batavia) struck a reef at the Abrolhos Islands and sank on its maiden voyage. The Batavia longboat replica was launched in March 2003, the result of a shared vision between the WA Museum Geraldton and the central West College of TAFE.

This boat is used as a training boat to teach kids how to sail - Suffice to say - when I first saw it, I thought, they had to be joking that we would all fit on it, followed by, how the heck will I get in and out of it without disgracing myself, (does this longboat make my bum look big,) lol.



This is two views of the boat. To get into it, the chap who took us out pulled it up to the side of the wharf with one of the long ropes that attached it to the wharf. Then you had to crawl through the rail at the edge of the wharf and basically manage to get yourself from hands on the rails, feet on the wharf to dropping down into the front of the boat hands on a rope and feet feeling their way down a piece of wood that ran down the middle of the front of the boat before the boat pulled away from the wharf as water lapped around the boat. As I said I made it without incident. (On return, I had to pull the boat close to the wharf with a rope, get one of the students to hold that then haul myself up by another rope, feet walking up the side of the boat and then had to launch myself to grab the rails before sliding between them back onto the wharf!!!!!) Then where to sit - there were a few planks at strategic places on the boat that one could sit on, keeping an eye out for sails etc being moved about the place once we had got under way. It felt we were very close to the water, maybe only a foot or two once underway which was a little disconcerting when the swell was about the same. We motored out of the dock area into more open water before the sails went up - and what a buzz it was to be out on the water. Very like being on a bucking horse to start off with when there was more of a swell I must say but then it was like being on one of those rocking loungers - very relaxing I must say.

Splice the main brace, lol
As we sailed about the harbour, we had marvellous views of Geraldton and the port where several ships were docked. There was also a couple of pens fenced off in the middle of all this which is a fish farm run by the local polytech. It is quite bizarre to see it as it is in the main thoroughfare where all the ships come and go. Then not far along from the fish farm, is a pile of rocks known as seal rock where there were about nine different seals were basking in the sun. It was amazing to see them and at first I only noticed two because they blended so well with the rocks and then as we got closer, they became more noticable. I have to say, there was a particular odour about the place, so am not sure whether it was the seals who smelt rank or droppings from cormorants etc but on reflection I think it must have been the seals.
With a bit of luck, this will not be my last outing as the chap who runs the boat is keen to run a course for some of our students that will result in a certificate for them. Depending on how many go out next time, I may have a go at getting the sails up myself and who knows, maybe even a turn at the tiller. All good practice to be a pirate, heh, heh.

Each week our students attend a sporting complex that is run by the police. They have been doing a program of various things such as boxercise, stunt work, gym exercises, trapeze work and rock climbing. Last week there was nothing specific planned so while some of the kids shot hoops, I played several games of pool with some of the others .. again, life is tough, lol. What was very exciting was by sheer fluke I actually hit some balls into the pockets and again did not disgrace myself totally. Today they did rock climbing - I did not have a go at that and took photos instead. The thought of being trussed like a fowl in the harness they had to wear put me off to say nothing of the lack of strength in my arm that is still twinging with tendonitis.

Summer is finally on its way with temps some days around 37o. It means that during the heat of the day, I am now down to one layer, though evenings and mornings I still keep a jumper handy. Have switched to summer night attire and down to one duvet and had one night last week with just a sheet but again, there are still some cool temps at night so keep the second duvet handy. Jude got the hose out and watered the lawn on Sunday night and last night I worked out the tap and hose system so we were able to just switch it on rather than hand hold the hose. I need to find out the days we are allowed to water and what all the gen is around watering as on the news tonight, people are going to be fined if they water when they should not be doing so.

Got very caught up in watching the Commonwealth Games while they were on. Of course Australia won a trillion medals it seemed, - there was not much coverage on anything else that did not have an Aussi competing. How good was it though that NZ got the gold for the rugby 7's and for the netball. Both nailbiting efforts I have to say. Nearly had to turn the telly off at one stage and had to google to see how we did so I could keep watching the rugby. When the Silver Ferns won the netball, it was such a buzz. It was nice to be able to rub those two efforts in lol.

Have just seen on the late news that another Hollywood identity has passed away - Tom Bosely who I remember best as Mr C in Happy Days which was a must see in the seventies with the Fonz and Ron Howard as Richie Cunningham.

Have just noticed the time and it is way past the witching hour. I am working from 8.30 till 11pm today so had better go get some sleep. Catch you later

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to have another instalment. hope to catch up with you again soon, love Mum

Kay said...

You certainly are having a range of 'never-thought-I'd-be-doing-this-in-my-lifetime" experiences. Next time you are in that wee boat, give the camera to someone else so we can see photographic evidence. Is it a 'one-size-fits-most' boat or is it a bit of a squeeze?