Sunday, 11 January 2009

The rest of the week in Wellington.

Following on from my last post, I did not get to the zoo in the end but did go SWIMMING and to the movies again. I know, the swimming thing was a bit of a shock to the system. I ended up being in the water for over two hours, with the small one staying in a record 4 hours! Wednesday was a relaxing day after the big day in town and Thursday looked to be a bit inclement hence the decision to go to the pool instead. I read for a bit and then decided to brave the waters. My togs (swimmers, bathing costume, depending on where you come from, lol) had their 3rd outing in the 10 years that I have owned them. I did go into the Karori pool the last time I was in Wellington but found I had pretty much forgotten how to swim and did not manage too well with my face under water. Anyhoo, I decided to buy some goggles so I could see under water - foolishly not from the $2 shop before I went so they cost me $17!!! They are however UV ray protected, lol so who knows, should I manage an outside pool ever, my eyes will be fine. I started off in the childrens pool which is kept at a blissfully warm temperature. (The WMH was very rude when I spoke to him on Skype and wondered whether Green Peace had been on standbye at the pool, lol). Spent some time throwing a ball across a steel pipe to encourage the grandson to use his mended arm a bit more as he was still favouring it quite a bit. I then had to be a shark and swim under water (thanks to the goggles) and catch him then he would catch me. I thought I should have a go in the big pool and see if in fact I could manage a few lengths. The good news is I made it up and down for about 8 lengths trying several different styles of 'swimming'. Only got a few mouthfulls of water and certainly felt as though I had done a cardio workout by the time I crawled out. The best part of the day was using the spa pool which was a very decent heat and had bubbles and jets - the fizzy pool as the small one called it. We were both pink when we hopped out of that one (before I passed out with the heat, lol) - I headed off to get changed and lo and behold, when I came out, there were a couple of school mates in the pool and a whole Ben 10 super hero game was in play. Luckily, I had gone armed with a book so stayed put until hunger made me call it a day.

Although the boy had a normal bedtime and was full of energy that night, he was still asleep after 8.15am next morning and he remained pretty wasted the whole day. We decided to go nowhere and blobbed, playing snakes and ladders, memory (again) and watched endless cartoons with a spot of Wii and a turn on the computer to play some games. I was more than happy to lax back as well as the weather was not overly warm that day either.

Saturday, went to the movies again - this time to see "Bedtime Stories" with Adam Sandler, Lucy Lawless, Guy Pearce, Courtney Cox and several other fine character actors. It was a great movie pitched at both adults and children with lots of laugh out loud moments. Had arranged to meet niece Laura for lunch and for ease decided on the food court at the Cinema complex which meant the boy could get his favourite McDonalds meal deal. And joy of joy, he got a choice of three toys to go with his meal and yay, one of them was a Ben 10 character he had yet to collect, so one very happy lad indeed. After our graze we decided to walk up to Lambton Quay to Starbucks to say hello to Tim, Laura's bf stopping at a couple of books stores along the way. I was very strong and resisted buying anything and the lad was very patient with the both of us. Got a txt from son to say he would pick us up so met him and D in L at Starbucks and it was back home again.

The son and DinL were heading out for dinner so the lad and I cooked up a batch of pop corn and settled back with a movie on the cartoon channel and a DVD. Got sprung only getting him into bed as they arrived back (they went for an early dinner but I thought they were going to a movie as well, lol). We did get pj's on and teeth cleaned before they arrived though.

Yesterdat morning it was up reasonably early as we had a movie to make. The lad and I started at the front gate while he introduced himself on camera and we went around the house and environs as he commentated while I did the camera work. Got some good footage so will try and edit it this week. Who knows if there is a budding Peter Jackson lurking within,LOL. We just finished our movie making and it was time to go as we went back to the Maranui Surf Club for lunch and then a quick trip to the Warehouse and Dick Smiths before heading to the airport.

Yet another new way of checking in since I last used Wellington airport - I got a ticket from a machine after putting my credit card in it and received a sticker for my luggage as well. I then weighed it and put it on the conveyor belt before moving to the lounge to wait for my flight. It is a bit wierd going through xray machines for a domestic flight which is new since I have been away and even there, I just wiped the barcode across a machine and I was on my way onto the plane. Hardly a person involved at all except at the xray machines and to wave a wand over me (which went off!!! - domes on my jeans thank God!).

Have been out this morning to meet one of the people renting my house and to have a look about the place. I am about to head out to Awhitu and will stay the night with Kay and Viv - in a tent - so I have officially camped whilst back in NZ, lol. Am trying now to sort out catching up with folk before I head back to Oz - the time is starting to run away now.

1 comment:

Kay said...

Am looking forward to reading about your one night officially under canvas - and your car key story.... We have now decamped but - ohhhhh the washing and cleaning and sorting.