Thursday, 1 January 2009

Happy New Year for 2009

Pinch and a punch for the first of the month and all that jazz. It has been awhile between posts - I have started three that have not made it to the finishing post but as it's the first of Jan 2009, I thought it was appropriate to make a new start.

I have found myself overtaken by extreme lassitude since arriving back in NZ, with short (very) bursts of energy which is starting to feel a little tedious. It is hard to relax when I feel there is 101 things I SHOULD be doing or is that merely COULD be doing and this is what a holiday is all about???

I had a lovely Christmas - started the morning with son No 2 and his wife, the cat and the dog, with pressies and a lovely champagne, barbeque breakfast. I was thrilled to receive Óutrageous Fortune 4' (NZ TV series that I love) and some tasty bikkies. Mid-morning and it was time to head down to Waiuku to Kay's for lunch. Got to Mum's to grab a few things only to find my car hissing as a tyre went flat when I went to leave again!!!! Was already dressed and ready to go so in no mood to change a tyre then and there. Fortuntely a phone call later and brother in law Mark kindly came and picked me up.

Had a very nice lunch then pressies and back to Mum's for a Nana nap indeed. We managed about an hour shut eye and then out to Noelene's for a Bulte gathering of extended family and friends. Yet another feast as everyone took something to contribute - almost a Vicar of Dibbley Christmas moment by then after a day of grazing yummy food.

I have to confess now, I have not made it camping (in a tent) like I had planned. A mix up in bookings led to a 'no room in the tent' situation. I was lucky enough however to be invited to stay with friend Denise at a cottage belonging to a friend of hers for two nights and we made day trips to the camp instead. Oh the trauma of having to cope with a flushing loo and a BATH!!! Managed to have a bath both nights - or should I say soak as I took a book with me!! That is something I totally miss in Oz as my bath in Hamilton was the size of a small swimming pool and I loved filling it up with bubbles for a total relax (also relishing in the ability to use water with such mad, gay abandon, LOL).

The camp this year at Awhitu is different, unusual and interesting. I have never seen it soooo full of people, tents, boats etc, nor have I seen sooooo many rabbits since looking at the annual bunny shoot in Otago on TV. The ground is literally moving with them. Twelve in one bunch up at the flushing loo (known as flushing meadows lol). It poured with rain most of the second day when I decided to come back to Mum's after dinner. I was feeling rather damp and wanted to get organised for the next day with an early start to attend the funeral of a friend's mother who passed away on Christmas day.

As I was scritching through my bits and pieces, I found I had three movie vouchers that had to be used by the end of December so yesterday, making a very late charge, Mum, Clive and I went up to Manukau City to see "Áustralia". Wow, is all I can say. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and would go and see it again in a heartbeat. The scenery is fantastic and I found the storyline very moving. Hugh Jackman - voted the sexiest man alive at the moment (and on the cover of the lates GQ magazine ) was brilliant (and not only when he was semi clothed, lol). There were many familiar faces playing other parts - Bryan Brown I thought played an excellent cameo role and I enjoyed Nicole Kidman's portrayal of an aristocratic English woman coping with life in the back of beyond. I laughed, then felt like shedding tears through several parts of the story and the three hours that it took passed by like a flash. The movie ended with me wanting to know what happened next..... I have seen some critics rubbish the movie but for entertainment value - I think you get your monies worth.

New Years Eve was spent at friend Viv's place - another combined meal with numerous Bulte family members and friends. Just before the annual fireworks display was completed - this time away from the house - down the driveway in fact - everyone gathered back in the house to get out of the rain which had threatened earlier in the evening. Having five out of the six sisters in attendence it was great to have a sing a long that is a mark of this particular family's functions. Mostly old songs and some Christmas carols with lovely harmonies abounding. Some of the songs we sang, were one's we (Kay and I included in this lot) learnt at Kariaotahi School over 40yrs ago!!! Around 11pm someone put the Vicar of Dibbley's Christmas DVD on so there were a lot of laughs for those watching. The countdown began just before midnight and we saw the New Year in as the rain started easing and with a message that a new baby in the family was on it's way (no news yet).

Today has been another lazy day - friends have visited Mum and Clive for lunch and I have downloaded my new toy - a photoshop type program for my computer so I can organise all my photos and edit my videos. Watch this space.

Have begun the year without thought to any new resolutions. I am getting to spend time with family and friends and that is what I aimed to do for this holiday. I am off to Hamilton tomorrow for lunch with my old boss from Elna Sewing and Embroidery days (a shop I worked at in Rotorua, pre Hamilton days) and a friend I met through the Rotorua Embroidery Guild. On Sunday, I am off to Wellington for a week to see the No 1 grandson and his parents so am looking forward to that.

A very Happy New Year to those of you who have followed this blog and I wish every good thing for you as the year unfolds and the strength to cope when challenges arise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be first for the new year, to make a comment, seeing Kay is at the beach, toughing it out probably reading and relaxing. No power you see, so that does cut down on the computer type functioning, but gives plenty of time for reading, games and suchlike.
Wishing you an exciting 2009, with all that it promises. love and hugs, Mum

Anonymous said...

Prospero año y felizidad!
Have just been up to visit the new great niece who is yet to be named as her parents have yet to decide on a name they both like.

lynz.odyssey said...

Thanks Mum

Viv: No 2 son took 10 days to name so know where they are at, LOL.

Kay said...

If you TRULY want to camp..... I can always stay out a bit longer so you can experience the discomfort. Home for a day for ANOTHER funeral and then back in expectation of the Rotorua contingent arriving tonight. Hope Wellington is going well.