Wednesday, 3 December 2008

Not thinking clearly, LOL.

Have just locked the keys in the ute so could spit and snarl. My library book, LAPTOP, clothes, handbag and all sorts of vital bits and pieces that I lug backwards and forwards each week are tucked safe inside!!!! I feel like a limb is missing so next best thing is to pause in the staff room on the way home to check email and update blog! (Luckily, I do have two of everything, including books, excepting laptop of course).

Did the vegie run today sans vegies. Will have to come up with a new name for the run as we are no longer getting vegies for staff because we were not purchasing enough. Had a good drive in - had a truck with wide load come towards me on the way into Mullewa, did about a mile with nothing to see, then hello, had to take to the very side of the road as this small truck with two behemoth grain silos on top of the tray took up the entire width of the road. In the not only but also realm, the silos also had wheels at each side of the structures, that were both sides of the truck. I have never seen anything like it and was too slow to take a picture!

I cannot believe how much the countryside has changed in three weeks. There is lots of stubble in paddocks where the wheat has been cut. Where canola grew, it's back to bare dirt. There is not a blade of green anywhere except for shrubs and trees that are perennials on the sides of the road or in the odd paddock. The red dirt is starting to show more as the cape weed and all the wild flowers have died off. The pond either side of the road about 10k away has dried out to tussocky grass and is white with salt that is sitting there since all the water evapourated. I wonder where the pied stilts, heron, ducks, etc have moved off to.

It was cool this morning - had a cardigan on again as it was overcaste and windy. It actually rained while I was in Gton for about 10mins but nothing out this way. Went to pick up a part for one of the buses from the garage we deal with and got given a tin of buscuits for the office and a box of beer for the Brs. The bloke there asked me whether they would want VB or Tuis? I immediately said, Yeah, right! how on earth did you get NZ beer over here and cracked up laughing when he handed me a box of Tooheys!!!!!!! Yeah, right indeed, LOL.

I bought a small ankle of ham today for $26 - it said is was a leg but its only about 6" worth so think they are a bit extravagant with the description, LOL. Also got a small roast of hogget and some chops for $14.00 which is a bargain as you usually have to offer up your first born to buy lamb over here. Am cooking the hogget tomorrow up at the WM's place for dinner and saving the ham for next week when we will do a Christmas type dinner before we all head away. I bought some glace cherries (apologies to the purists but they are glace real cherries) and toothpicks to decorate the ham before I bake it with the brown sugar and whatnot topping recipe that Dad used to use.

I felt several urges to buy Christmas pressies today but cannot transport anything back this year as have one large item I am dragging back that I bought before I came home last time!!! (organisation in the extreme). The upside is a bit of a spending spree when I get home hopefully with a good exchange rate in my favour, LOL.

Will sign off now, the moon is a reasonably sized sickle with Saturn and Venus dropped down and to the left now. The milkyway out here is something else again. I tried to video it the other night and walked into a bush for my trouble as I was trying to do a 360o sweep with my head tilted back looking in the screen to see if it was picking up what I could see with my own eyes. Managed a good scratch to the leg instead. I suppose I should be thankful that is all that happened, LOL.

PS: Thursday morning (here) I have passed the 1000th reader!!!!!!!!!! Yay. Even taking off me checking a couple of hundred times and the ever faithfull Mum, Kay, Viv,Laura, J&J who leave comments, thank you to them and to those silent readers out there, you are all much appreciated.

2 comments:

Kay said...

1007th reader....

Anonymous said...

Wow! Un mil - that's one big number. Hot and dry here too at the moment. Most people would like a little rain at this point as it is looking like a long hot summer.
Hope you don't have too much trouble getting keys out of ute.