Sunday, 8 January 2012

One week down the track :)

It is now just over a week since I left hospital, one week since new years and 51 weeks until 2013 - daunting thought, lol. 

After my leisurely day last Saturday at Shelley's the decision was made to attend New Years's Eve on the beach at Rockingham.  Accordingly, at 11pm we left for the beachfront.  It was a very festive scene as we arrived - stalls set up and several rides like dodgems, ferris wheel etc. There was also music being played from a speaker system.  We set ourselves up on the beach with a blanket to wait for midnight.  The water was dead calm, with lots of boats anchored to enjoy the stars.  At midnight the fireworks display began over the water which was great - lots of colour and bang.  We stayed a little longer, enjoying the extremely mild (and insect free) night watching some idiot women walk into the tide, fully clothed, smoking a cigarette,and then keep walking out further in the tide.  Two boats one small, one large just missed her as she made it out to a pontoon where she floundered about for awhile then finally climbed  onto the pontoon.  She had caught the attention of a lot of people on the beach - someone must have alerted the police as the next thing we saw was some bloke wade out into the water demanding she come back, then a youngish child, followed by the police who yelled at her from the beach.  She finally got back into the water and came back to shore and  as we left the police were having a few well chosen words with her.  Other than that the evening had been very laid back, lots of families out and about, no hoons obvious, so a nice night to see the new year in.

Got up to go to the loo early the following morning and am not sure why but felt the (by now) familiar pain in my chest.  It was about medium strength so I hastened to swallow my morning pills with the slow release GTN and asprin and thankfully in about 10 mins they kicked in and the pain receeded.   Was in two minds whether to go back to hospital but as the pills kicked in decided to wait and see how I travelled for the rest of the day before facing another admission.  Luckily there was no more pain and after a bite of lunch out, we left for the domestic airport where I caught a plane back to Geraldton.  Was met by Gerard and taken back to his place for general debrief, catch up and dinner.  The family wanted me to stay the night but I just wanted to get into my own bed, and into some fresh clothes so eventually headed home with the promise to ring if I felt any pains at all.

Woke up gingerly the next morning and sat up a bit before moving, no pain,  so breakfast and pills, all good.  I did not do a lot that day - Hayden came round and mowed my lawns and sprayed weed killer on the last lot of weeds to be dealt to.  I had to get petrol for the mower and some basic food items, and made it until about 1.30pm when I could not keep awake any longer and fell asleep on the couch.  Two hours later woke up and took Hayden and Emily home (she had walked to mine from work), then after getting back home, fell promptly asleep again until 9.30pm when I managed to wake long enough to have something to eat and then slept the rest of the night.  

Tuesday had a little more energy which was lucky as Donna rang at 8am to see if I could go mind her lad while she went into hospital to get what might be a spider bite on her hand looked at.  She arrived back with a leur in her arm and they had administered antibiotics with more to follow that evening, and twice a day for the next couple of days.  Got home later that afternoon for a nana nap and then weigh in at Weight Watchers to find I had put weight on while I had been in hospital which I totally had expected but a buggar all the same. 

Wednesday was another slow day, more sleeping in the afternoon to evening and was starting to feel pretty useless.  Although I had no more pain, I was experiencing the odd tightness now and then but no pattern so figured it was just adjusting to post hospital meds etc.  I had managed to get some washing done and that was about it. 

Thursday I got stuck into the garden, dead headed all the daisy bushes, rearranged hoses and watered - trying to revive what plants were surviving.  A week without water and temps in the 30's had laid waste to a lot of  the daisy bushes, peppers, tomatoes, and some of the herbs.  The beans are all dead as are the lettuces I had planted but can't be helped. 

Friday being the 6th of Jan and the 12th day of Christmas, it was time for the Christmas lights to come down. As there were sucker type attachments for the lights on the windows I decided to clean the windows, the surrounds and then do the floor.  I got to late afternoon and was doing the dishes when just had to go lie down, and promptly fell asleep for over an hour.  I think I may have overdone things a bit, but am only going to find that out by trial and error I guess.  Felt much better for the nap and and good nights sleep later in the evening.

I realised that I had been experiencing a bit of mush brain yesterday when I decided to close the side door on the garage after gardening only to realise the house / car keys were in the door and had been there for two days and a night!!!!  So much for locking the house at night, lol and big ooops.   Retrieved keys and am happy to report, all doors are shut and locked tonight and my keys are inside.

Am now on the countdown for coming home on the 25th January.  I checked before I left  hospital and there seems to be no problem for me flying .  I  have made an appointment to see a GP on Monday.  It was going to take 2 weeks until I said I had just got out of CCU in Freemantle and was told I needed follow up.  I do not know how you manage if you are sick and need to see someone in a hurry - I guess that is why people go straight to A & E.  Lots of Drs in town are not taking any new patients at the moment so have stayed with the practice I went to for my medical certificate for my licence,  even though  the Dr I saw has moved on.  This will be a whole new world for me with GP's so am just crossing my fingers that I end up with someone who knows what they are doing.  Heaven help me, I can remember the days when Dr's still made house calls, lol.

I have one more week off on sick leave so am continuing with steady spring cleaning as I will have another house inspection this month.  Had another dead mouse turn up on the lounge floor earlier in the week so that is number two.  Hopefully the word is out to any other family left behind and they all decide to move elsewhere.    Heard that my Christmas parcel arrived at Mum's - Kay has taken it out camping with her to open and to distribute gifts so ho ho and Merry Christmas and hope you all survive the wet weather I believe you are having.  I have barely seen any news in the last week but have heard Christchurch continues to experience earthquakes between 4 and 5 on the richter scale. My heart goes out to all hanging in there.  It must be so nerve wracking not to know when or what strength the next shake is going to be. 

It is past the witching hour so will head for bed.  Going to the farmers market for fresh fruit and veg tomorrow with Donna while she is having an Open Home. She has her house on the market with her move to Perth at the end of the month coming closer and closer.  Night all. :):)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you, via skype most days, and to read this latest posting. You are going to miss Donna and Delton when they move to Perth, but will give you another contact when passing through.You would never think it is Summer, apart from it not being cold. It rained constantly yesterday, and wondering how they are faring out at the beach. In the too hard basket to go out there with Clive, be like drowned rats just getting him into the car, and the wheelchair!!! My shoulder isnt the best at the moment either so all that lifting doesnt help.
Thank you in advance for the Christmas prezzies, at least they wont be able to give the DVD's a dry run, ha ha ha, no power out there. love and hugs Mum

Anonymous said...

His there
so good to hear from you at last! We have nearly had enough rain...it is a pity we cannot just export it!
This has definitely been a Clayton's summer so far. We have had another lots of family staying. Perry aged nearly (9) !! who knows much more about IT than he should has been staying and nightly readings aloud from Harry Potter have ensued!
Hope you take things easiy...Roll on the 25th!
Love from J&J