Sunday, 11 July 2010

Beware what you ask for!

Down to one job, I think I said in my last post - famous last words. Last week I was rung by the folks from Child Protection on Monday and started on the Wednesday (I think) with them6.45am till 1pm, then a quick change then to the fast food job until midnight, then back to CP 10am - 7pm Thursday, Friday back for a staff meeting midday until 2pm, then again 10.30pm - 3.30am Saturday and then later in the day, 4pm - 10.30m at the ff job and tonight 3pm - 8pm. That is a snapshot of what my weeks look like. LUCKILY, I have taken leave from the ff job at the end of this week so will be down to the job at school 9am - 12.30pm Mon -Thurs with a shorter time on Friday and the CP job will fit around that, mainly afternoon shifts and weekend work.



Last week Wednesday at the CP job it was mainly about paperwork, and induction to the residential home where I am now in the process of becoming a residential care officer (I think that is my correct title). The children being looked after are there by order of the court having been removed from their family situations for a variety of reasons. Most of the children who need this residential situation have some significant traumatic incident or incidents in their backgrounds, hence their removal to an environment that helps support them until they are ready for placement back into family with supports, or into foster care. Most are emotionally younger than their chronological age and many basics have to be taught as well as such things as anger management and appropriate ways of behaving. Having worked late at the ffood place the night before, I set the alarm on my phone for 5.30am which would have given me 5 hours sleep and horror of horrors woke bolt out of a dream at 7.10am. Thank God for a boarding school background and casual clothes for the job, lol. I was showered, dressed and heading out the door by 20 past seven (and yes water did touch my body, lol) only to drive nearly a mile before I realised I was not wearing my glasses!!!!!!! Eeeek, knew I was doing paper work and am now blind as a bat without glasses for reading, so there was nothing for it but to turn back, at warp speed and then return at a very fast pace reaching the home by about 7.45am totally embarrassed - luckily they all thought it was hilarious, whew.

Thursday, I went along on an outing with the three boys in care at the moment, which involved a trip to the playground on the waterfront which was a huge success. It was an outing where family members of the boys were able to join us too. We went out under threat of an impending storm - warnings had been out for 24 hours that a storm was coming and we watched the black clouds come in from the sea. We had a very quick picnic meal at the playground then loaded up and headed back to the home. There was much talk about the coming storm and the boys decided to build a cubby outside with chairs and blankets in the afternoon until everything was cleared away and the rain started. I was doing some more induction reading when I was called to come and look at what fun the boys were having, and could I take photos. By now it was bucketing down with rain and there they were running about and jumping in puddles having a whale of a time. We let them get rid of all their energy and once they said they were cold, it was hot showers and pj's, with a bit of telly before an early roast dinner. I stayed until they boys were in bed or heading there calling into the WM's on the way home. They were all bundled up, the WMH not well with flu so as it was pouring down, I waited for a lift in the weather and hied my way back here.



While at work earlier in the evening, one of the staff had been rung by her son to say the power line from the pole to the house had exploded and he sent a picture by phone of a scorch mark down the side of her house. Luckily, it did not catch fire and she had to go home to find out if it had caused any damage to electrical goods inside. Driving along the roads back to mine, there was flooding so had to go slow as I thought I was going to aqua plane at one stage (before I slowed down, lol). Got back and the front door light had blown so fumbling in the dark trying to find the key hole in the pouring rain was not fun. By the time I went to bed, the wind was phenomenal - I believe it was 90k and more. There was massive lightening and thunder so felt very cosy wrapped up in all my duvets and quilts tucked up in bed. It was a little disconcerting to have the banana palm bashing against the window but it did not keep me awake. When I got up the next morning, it was to find that the ceiling in the bathroom had leaked enough for the bath mat to be wet through, and there was a small puddle in the hallway from a leak I could not identify. I think the skylight in the bathroom was the cause of the leak there. Perth got badly hit again, - one bloke having a tree trap him in his bed when it crashed through his house and luckily to be alive to tell the tale.



Friday, I was on a mission in between going to work twice to get light bulbs for the house as at least five have blown by now. Now, since I last had cause to buy a light bulb, they have changed the whole lot to these long life safe the planet type bulbs - which I loathe with a passion. First of all, the bulbs in the hallway - I took one to Bunnings to try and find a replacement, then the one at the front door that is in a carriage lamp type fixture. Of course to change the bulbs, I needed a step ladder so chose to buy one of those too. What a hassle it was to get the bulb out of the carriage lamp fixture. The screw things holding the top on had semi rusted but managed to get one undone with some pliers and after much checking of screw type bulbs (who on earth puts screw bulbs into things instead of batten type bulbs!) in the local IGA, managed to get the going again. The packet says these bulbs are good for five years - and they would want to at the cost of them. What I dislike most is the dullness of the light in these bulbs and the fact they seem to have to be on for awhile before getting to full light. I had work again with CP at 10.30pm and once again, had a duh moment. Every door at the home is lockable and you enter via the garage and two locked doors before gaining entry. So, in the dark I arrive, my keys are on a black key ring thingie that goes round your neck, I have no light on the inside of my car, and I cannot find them in my bag in the dark!!!!!! There was nothing for it but to knock on the door - not being sure anyone would actually open it but luckily - again - staff heard me, and let me in the front door - I tell you, I am rapidly using up my 9 lives in this job, lol. I was to shadow the night person to get an idea of what is expected which is a complete handover and bed checks on the hour, with some cleaning, laundry and in between cups of coffee and a fair bit of chat which was great. I stayed until about 3.30am and finally got to bed around 7am so that was a long day but good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, glad to catch up on all your news. Hope all is well,
love and hugs, Mum

Spanish Viv said...

Well you win the 'I can do 100 things at once' prize. My life is a doddle in comparison.