Thursday, 12 March 2009

The Killing Fields or midnight madness, lol.

Have had a couple of interesting walks home this week. On Monday night the WMH invited me up to dinner as he had found a Rogan Josh mixture to try out. Very tasty indeed it was with none of the powdery feel to the meat that usually goes with that dish. I'm not sure what happened during the day, I got home, hung out washing, started to read a book around 10.30am and woke up at 5pm!!!!!! Anyway, back to dinner which was superb. It was a relatively nothing night on the telly so decided to have a game of Buzz which we havn't done in ages (I won, heh, heh). And then it was Boston Legal, so watched that and then wandered home about midnight. I walked home because it was near a full moon and quite light out. Just as I was walking towards the oval, I saw three shadows running across the ground - my first thought was that it was someone's dogs, then as they stopped and took off again - I realised they were foxes. I did wonder for a moment or two whether they would circle round and have a go at me, but then realised I had the wrong beast, wolves do that so back to foxes again so continued home a mite warily just in case, lol. Made it home with no further ado.

Tuesday night was a repeat performance at the WM's place - dinner and Tuesday night telly - all good. Walked home around 11.30pm due to presence of fuller moon than the night before, when I noticed a blaze of lights down at my place. As I walked closer, I realised the next door neighbours had their outside light on in the front of their place, and as I got closer again - their back yard was also well lit . There were three dead kangaroos hung off a steel pole while they were being skinned and gutted. I knew they were not sheep as there was an extra appendage which is what I first noticed (the tail!!!), like an extra very long leg and then noticed the small ears and kangaroo shape, lol. Not what I was expecting at all. I arrived just as one was being gutted, very reminescent of growing up on the farm and seeing sheep being killed (when I could still bare the sight of blood and gore, lol). These were for dog tucker as the dog does not like other meat if you please. Chalked that one up to another very Australian experience!!!

Whilst on the subject of livestock, the students found a baby snake outside the staff room after school - it is now an ex snake, not sure which brand of snake it was, but we were told in chapel tonight, the mother snake could be nearby - great!!!! Just what I need to hear after walking about the place at night - also heard that snakes are nocturnal - even better!!!!! Maybe I will take the offer of the car to drive back and forth until further notice.

Am in the process of booking tickets home for Easter. I think I leave here on the 3rd April arriving NZ on the 4th at 5.30am and leave on the 24th. I have a feeling I fly straight through to NZ but on the way back do a stop over at Melbourne airport - woohoo - not been there before so that will be interesting. I am told the airport is in the middle of nowhere (probably like Auckland airport compared to the city) but that is OK. Anyway, will confirm all that once I get the printout in my hands.

Did a run into Gton on Wednesday. Had a detour at Mullewa that went away from the town and then back around a huge shed and bins for wheat, doubling back into the township. It looked like we were driving alongside a creek/river bed for part of it which you would never know was there otherwise. There is huge roadworks on the road to Tardun just past the turnoff from the town - a road has been straightend. Yesterday, the detour was because there was work on the road where the railway lines cross the main road. Wheat is STILL being trucked and railed out of the bins just outside the township so goodness knows how many tonnes were harvested in this part of the district.

The rest of the trip was uneventful , then got a message late afternoon to say the girl we went in to pick up from the airport had missed a connecting flight and would arrive today instead. It meant Br and I were back here by 6pm instead of 8pm so I was not unhappy about that. Didn't do any grocery shopping this time, just a fruit and veg stop - am onto gala apples at the moment as they are the only fruit under $4k. I did get some grapes, peaches (white), nectarines, plums and potatoes as well - mostly 2nds and ready to eat so am feeling very virtuous and healthy.

Glad to see NZ can offer some livestock stories of its own - loved the bit about the bird's leg and claw on your car Kay!

5 comments:

Kay said...

You will find NZ quite safe (and dull) by comparison should you be wandering around in the middle of the night here.... Viv and I have the Cancer Society Walk for Lif relay in P'kohe this weekend. WE have the 1.30am -2pm shift. I'll put you down as a sponsor. Your car got a warrant today too.

Anonymous said...

Did the last Saturday coffee for some time this morning with Kay. We chose a cup to be presented to a year 8 student at Wku Pry for Endeavour!! It is our 'leaving gift' from the school as neither of us wanted a gift.
John is in bed not feeling great and I am supposed to be studying so had best get to it. Glad to see the adventure is still happening. God forbid you should be bored!! Looking forward to catching up at Easter.

lynz.odyssey said...

Kay: You will be walking as I type this - I will do the same donation as last year, just get me a bank a/c number.

Viv: Only realised yesterday it is this coming Friday that Kay is going to Argentina. The time has flown by. Next week is week 7 (for anyone not involved in schools, lol) for us.

Anonymous said...

Kay and Viv might have been walking as you typed, but I was too... here...at home... trying to get Clive to sleep. was on the point of ringing the ambulance when after about 3 hours, I finally got him into his lazyboy and then after about another hour he fell into a stupor. Up down, up down, not down, up, and so on. Just hope we can survive another night before he goes in tomorrow morning. Hid most of his pills that I could find, but too late for an unspecified amount. Tomorrow cant come soon enough. will probably sleep while I am waiting. love and hugs, Mum

hungryandfrozen said...

The idea of a dog eating a kangaroo is not one that will leave me quickly, as with the image of your late-night prowl with the wolves! Hope all's well :)