Thursday, 13 November 2008

It's been a long week.

I am writing this up at the Wm's kitchen table as I am ostensibly here to help her with an assignment, LOL. So far, have helped with a couple of questions, played a couple of games of mahjong and done some banking. I realise it has been a week since I have done a post and am wondering where it all went. I was on duty last weekend - big highlight was putting up the Christmas tree in the dining room. I know it is early but with the trip next week it would mean so little time to enjoy one before the end of the term. We put a double CD of Christmas carols on and sang along as we decorated. We had one of our mothers staying for a few days and she spent the afternoon and the evening braiding the girls' hair for basketball the next day. They really enjoyed having her here and having a bit of fuss being made of them.

Sunday was all go as we had to be on the bus for Gton by 9am for our first game of basketball. Unfortunately it was a loss to us but the girls improved during the game which is the main thing. We then had a picnic lunch at the newly developed waterfront where there is a walkway along the foreshore and playgrounds, shade spots and barbeques. This is part of a major project for Geraldton as they upgrade the whole waterfront area. After lunch we went for a game of 10 pin bowling. My best score was 9 with one shot, in saying that, I was still last on our team, LOL. Back to basketball again and this time the U17's won a fiercly contested game. I had to remind myself to breath, I got so caught up in the game. Am starting to learn some of the terminology, LOL and am enjoying watching the games immensely. We finally got back to school at 7pm, thankfully to a cooked dinner by the WM who had it all ready for us. I ended up by staying the night at school as I took two girls into hospital the next day.

I have to say, my first experience of the 'Aussi hospital system was very good. We had been given conflicting times to arrive and I chose the earlier one to be on the safe side. Although we were on the day surgery ward, the girls were to stay the night before and the night of the op due to the distance we had to travel. We thought the girls had to be nil by mouth on the Sunday night but it transpired it was in fact Monday night so we were given sandwhiches, soup, custard and jelly after they found out the girls had had nothing to eat that morning which was great. The staff were very friendly and patient with all the questions and did their utmost to make the girls feel at ease. After they were admitted formally, around lunchtime, we then went and waited in the tv room on the ward until late afternoon when beds were finally available. I ducked out and bought the girls pyjamas as they did not want to wear hospital duds and got them a magazine each to keep them occupied. I left here at 7.30am and got back at 6pm so it was a long day. The WMH had cooked me dinner and we sat down and watched the final of Dancing with the Stars and the semi final of Australian Idol. Luke (Constable Angelo, from Home and Away) and his partner Luca won (deservedly) and Danny Green (a boxer) and his partner came runner up, for those who are interested, LOL. What was really great was that he had also taped "Rove" the night before and he started off with a bit about Helen Clark losing the election and John Keys winning the night before (he does his show on a Sunday here).

I went home Monday night and was just relaxing with the first load of washing on when I had to bring the work ute back up to school as four students had to go to Gton for Dr's apts and to be dropped off home. Then I had four trips (walking) backwards and forwards as I have moved into the WM's place to look after her boys while the WMH has gone to Sydney until Saturday night to attend a funeral. I had planned on cooking a chinese banquet that night and thought what the heck, will do it anyway as the meat was ready to have last rites read over it if it wasn't cooked immediately. We had invited another staff member up for dinner and decided to go ahead without the WMH anyway as there was too much food for just me and the boys (although we did make a serious dent in it). For those playing at home, we had combination fried rice, chicken and cashews, vegetable chow mein, beef and oyster sauce, and wontons with sweet and sour sauce. Once again, I found my recipes did not taste quite the same with using aussi ingredients instead of NZ ingreds but the boys and our colleague were very impressed. I sent a plate over to the WM who also enjoyed it - yay. I also tried a pavlova - something I haven't cooked for about, oh, I don't know, maybe 15yrs - and it was not a roaring success. Not sure whether the eggs were too old, too warm?, or the little bit of yolk I got in there (that I thought I got completely out)made a difference. It remained fairly soft and very chewy when I wanted crisp and chewy. I will have to try again when I am home I think with my never fail cordon bleu recipe and an electric oven. I think I have mentioned one or three times before how I hate cooking with gas.

Wednesday was the Gton run, pick up the girls from hospital and was back here early this time, in time to go straight to doing homework, dinner and back to work with two girls down sick with tonsilitis and a 24/48 hour vomitting bug!!!

Friday:
Things just get better and better. Had a girl arrive back yesterday, Miss it hurts when I go to the loo and I think I may have a bladder infection. Great (thinking to self, I am sure there is some ancient remedy for this but cannot remember what). Rang her parent who was in the middle of nowhere at work, so could not come and get her and then rang the WM for advice. I had given said girl some strong pain meds so that the pain went from 10+ down to about 8 while the WM rang the local hospital to see what we should do. We had about four out of five boxes ticked for 'go straight to hospital, (do not pass go, do not collect $200) so at 10pm the WM drove her 3/4 hour to be attended. Meanwhile, all the rest of my girls were in bed and mostly asleep, so left a note on my door with the WM ph number and went next door to sit there in case the boys woke up to an empty house. Talk about the devil and the deep blue sea, LOL. I got back to my own bed about 1pm after debrief with what had transpired at the hospital. For any of you who ever suspect you may have a UTI (urinary tract infection), over here you should be at the Dr's within four hours, as failure to do so can result in unbelievable pain, and a hospital admittence if the infection gets to your blood stream and vital organs. Due to lack of sleep and having to deal with post op, and more medical issues than I am comfortable with, the milk of human kindness is a mere sour curd at the moment. I am going to the WM's place I think and will collapse on the couch for a few hours - I watered the plants yesterday and they will cope until tomorrow - and may just shut my eyes for a bit of respite.

Last night while all the drama was unfolding, it was set against wind blowing a living gale outside and a spectacular lightening storm with a full moon as the back drop. The moon was a glowing orangy, golden orb in the early evening and then around midnight was thinly covered with black clouds as the scudded across the sky. I tried to get on email with my own computer this morning but the weather did not allow for broadband to work for me to be able to skype.

I realise over the last few weeks the Melbourne Cup was won (don't know the horse, just that it was Bart Cummings who was the winning trainer - again, his eyebrows were a focus on Rove, LOL), Obama won the elections in the USA and of course Helen lost and resigned as did Michael Cullen (know that from talking to family) but it makes little difference to life in the bubble that we are in out here.

Will try for another update before the Sydney trip that is meant to begin on Monday. Hope you all have a good weekend.

2 comments:

Kay said...

Just lost previous comment so will do a shorter one. Hope all gos well in Sydney. May catch up with you on Skype before you go.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Great to see you and the WM and the WMH on Skype, great invention isnt it.
Hope you have an exciting time in Sydney. You could wave when you get East side. You will probably all sleep till you get there. Looking forward to hearing all about it. Dont forget you have a time change so will only be about 2 hours behind us. love to all, Mum