Wednesday, 4 July 2007

Firenze/Florence

Last night in Rome repacked my entire suitcase and realised I had lost shirt, probably in Sorrento - mental note to self to repack entirely before leaving for new area. We were up early and diced with death trying to get on the bus - all the buses open on the opposite side to NZ ones which means you hop off into traffic who do not give a toss about pedestrians. We drove through Umbria and the TUSCANY to get to Florence or Firenze to the natives. Saw my second herd of cows since I have been away (friesians) and a paddock with horses in. The landscape continued to be spotted with medieval looking buildings perched on hills with towns beneath them. The crops changed from olives to sunflowers through Tuscany. There are still vines and citrus along the way, paddocks with round haybales and possibly lavender or something similar. There is lots of brightly coloured ceramics appearing in the shops. We got to Florence at 1pm and had a very quick drive to a view that overlooked the city with the Ponte Vechio (excuse any poor spelling - it is 1 euro for 15 mins). We arrived at the hotel which is full of marble and I have gone from a tiny space to a bedroom the size of my lounge and a bathroom that has space between each fitting and a shower with a shower head and a hand held sprayer - bliss. There was nothing planned for the day so everyone headed for the markets to shop. I had no idea where to go so tagged on with the Bridger family (Chrystal was 2 years behind me at AK Dio). The markets were full of leather and murano glass plus the pashminas, scarves and other tourist hideosities. Bought a few bits and pieces and then got lost AGAIN. Chrystal was looking at a handbag at a shop right opposite to where I was buying some earings and when I turned around she had gone. Twice in two days was a bit demoralising. I looked around a bit and then stayed put at the junction of where we had been for about 20 mins and was then quietly panicking. I walked back to where I had recognised a church but took a wrong direction. I asked another hapless woman for directions - and she pointed me in the general direction. I then asked two young girls who were going past who happened to speak English who took me to the station where I caught a taxi back. Chrystal had looked for me and sensibly ambled home some time later unconcerned while I was frantic about being lost again!!! (But now I'm found LOL). Forgot to mention when I first arrived at the hotel - I asked if they had a laundry - they gave me a list of prices to have it done by the hotel - 1.50è for a pair of nickers, 9è for trousers ... I could buy new clothes for the prices they charged so reverted to good old boarding school days, cold water, soap and hand washing. The bathroom resembled an Italian laundry ( a change from the un PC chinese laundry - the Italians hang all their laundry out on their balconies for all and sundry to see):
Today we set out early and had a guide to walk us around the city. We walked past the most amazing churches that took my breath away. We walked down one of the richest streets with Dolce and Gabana, Louis Vuiton, Bulgari and a host of other names with the most beautiful window displays. Walking to the Ponte Vecchio we walked down the street with all the gold merchants with the most dazzleing displays. Florence was founded by Julius Ceasar who built the bridge into the city but is most famous for the Medici era which involved the Renaissance period. This afternoon I went with the Ohlsons to the Pitty Palace which was the Medici home and my head is still reeling from the magnificence of the place. Room after room of painted ceilings with the most ornate decorations picked out in gold. Room after room with four walls covered in multiple paintings many of which were recognisable from my 6th form history of art. There are too many to talk about here but there were paintings by Michelangelo, Titian, Van Dyck, Raphael, Utrillo to name a few. It took over two hours to walk through one floor. Before that we had gone to a church name after Saint Felicity who was a martyr - there were again huge paintings of other martyred saints. The had candles that were glass and lit when you poked them into a hole that must have worked like a light bulb. I 'lit' one and put a few words up for myself, family and friends - I hope you are all benefitting from this!!! After coming out of the palace we walked back into town and found a market we hadnt seen before. I had no intention of buying anything today as I had felt completely over shopping after the day before's traumatic incident but a leather coat leapt out at me and before I knew it I had tried it on and it fitted like a glove.. I had noticed one exactly the same the day before but had passed it by. I will keep you all in suspense but it is fabulous. After that Iwent to one of the main cathedrals this afternoon which I cannot remember the name of just now and nearly self immoliated when I lit a further two candles there. These were tea lites and went on a tree like contraption. Once again for family and one for our Waiuku next door neighbours in particular - as I went to take a photo of the tree of lights I backed into the one behind me on a plinth and nearly set fire to myself at the same time thought the whole lot was going to crash onto the floor! After walking non chalently to one side of the cathedral I headed back outside. After reconnecting with other folk from our group I headed back to the hotel stopping at a Pizzaria for dinner which was divine - real Italian food and very yummy. Am going to sign off now and head for bed - we have to be up and packed by 6.30am as we are leaving to see 'David' by 8.15am tomorrow and then on to Venice. Great to get the comments back. Be in touch again soon
Ciao

3 comments:

Kay said...

Hi there,
I'm reminded of a Walt Disney cartoon with Donald/Micky/Goofy et al completely destroying the Grand Canyon in a similar fashion to your visit to Florence.......
Walked over the Sydney Harbour Bridge and did a dinner tour on the Harbour yesterday - each "classics" in their own right but not quite up there with Florence's antiquities.
Travelling hint: always have a gathering point in case of emergencies eg the doorway of the last shop entered etc - or, you may start to think people are trying to lose you on purpose.
Off to find Mark....... cheers.
K

Spanish Viv said...

Tryed to leave a comment and it wouldn't stick! Will try again.
You are certainly leaving/making your mark on Europe. There are probably signs in each city, warning the natives of your arrival! Perhaps you need a GPD so you always know where you are, or maybe the tour guide should tag you then they would know where you are!
Busy week here getting ready for the wedding on Sat. The boys are looking spiffy in their new duds and I am sewing for mi hija.
Besos
V

Mum said...

What a time I have had trying to leave messages.
Hope you havent got lost again. I think you were to be in Avignon but you might be in Paris by now. Not too sure about you and Kay and Tea lites.
It has been rain, rain, rain, and New Plymouth has had several tornadoes.
Hope David didnt disappoint. I know when I went to Wellington, and saw the Beehive for the first time, and said, "Is that all it is!!!" It is always photographed upwards, to give the impression that it is huge. Looking forward to the next episode in Lynz odyssey, love and hugs, Mum